Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

Garage
My Cruise Control needs... What?

Sorry for this lame question, but how how else to learn?

My 2014 van has controls for cruise on the steering wheel, but seemingly no connection to actual cruise control. Did they put that stuff on there "just in case you might want it" someday?

Well, I do. My DIY skills end when it comes to engines, so I'm trying to figure out who to take it to to get this done right and safely. Can a regular mechanics shop handle this kind of thing? I've watched a couple of YouTubes on the topic and it looks like we're talking about a small module addition under the dash?

Old 05-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Site Team

More often than not, an OEM will include the cruise control wiring in the wiring harness going through the steering column, but will not include the cruise control equipped steering wheel. I think either the appropriate connector is disconnected, or there's some other issue going on.

Herb
Old 05-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #3

The "actual connection" is nothing more than enabling the option in the PCM. It's all electronic, using the electronic throttle body. A visit to a dealer or independent shop with Ford IDS would need to confirm whether the option is enabled. If it is, the only other components that can affect it is the buttons itself, or the clockspring.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #4

PS - Ford sometimes does make mistakes on programming. I remember one odd service bulletin where some vans were accidentally programed for a middle east market, and would ding the chime any time they were driven over 60.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #5

Garage
Okay, duh! This is what happens when you drive a Tacoma for too long and expect certain car behaviors...

After consulting with someone obviously smarter than me: I was expecting a dash light when I push "on". It seems I get a dash light when I then push "set". Who knew? I'll confirm this intel next time down the road.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I was expecting a dash light when I push "on". It seems I get a dash light when I then push "set".
That surprised me as well when I got the Tardis (92 E350).
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
That surprised me as well when I got the Tardis (92 E350).
Glad I'm not the only one!
Old 05-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #8

Garage
In my 2010 I only get the light after pushing "set". Sounds like it is the same on yours. Cruise works great.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The "actual connection" is nothing more than enabling the option in the PCM. It's all electronic, using the electronic throttle body. A visit to a dealer or independent shop with Ford IDS would need to confirm whether the option is enabled. If it is, the only other components that can affect it is the buttons itself, or the clockspring.
Good call. I bought an '06 Crown Vic Police Interceptor earlier this year, and it didn't have cruise, so I had a different steering wheel installed and then took it to Ford to have them activate the 'Speed Control' option.

Herb
Old 05-26-2016, 10:37 PM   #10

Interesting comments regarding CC both here and people I know in ford dealers.
This isn't anything other than my experience.

One person at a dealership I know said that I'll never get the cruise control to work on my current rig without having to go to a dealership to have the PID "switch" activated, he was wrong. Once I installed all the factory Parts into my manual everything 01 E350 PSD it just started working.
Another interesting experience regarding control, I have yet to ever have my own personal van Dash have some sort of cruise control light active when engaged. And ive had a 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2005. But the other day I drove a recently new van compared to my dinosaurs and when I engage cruise control on it the light on the dash was lit.

I think Ford had some sort of plan regarding cruise control basic setups and execution but never stuck with it resulting in a solid pattern.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote