Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #11

Re: Need new rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Not sure, but I have an '03 with a Quigley conversion, they said I've got an '03 F-350 front end, so that's the application I ordered up from frozen rotors, I had them re-drilled because the F-series was 8X160 vs. the E-series being 8X6.5....or something to that effect. I tried to find out if I could just order up E-series rotors, no one could give me an answer at the time, are the hub sizes the same on F-350 and E-350? so I guess in theory they would fit without having to re-drill.
The best way to handle this is ask Quigley for rotor part numbers for your rig, then cross reference from there. Rather than saying "it is an F-350" front end, you can get the right match for the mix of parts they used. Quigley are very happy to give you part numbers.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Not sure, but I have an '03 with a Quigley conversion, they said I've got an '03 F-350 front end, so that's the application I ordered up from frozen rotors, I had them re-drilled because the F-series was 8X160 vs. the E-series being 8X6.5....or something to that effect. I tried to find out if I could just order up E-series rotors, no one could give me an answer at the time, are the hub sizes the same on F-350 and E-350? so I guess in theory they would fit without having to re-drill.
See you both are referring to different things!
The thread was started with a Quigley conversion with a K30 (Chevy axle).
You are talking about yours with a Ford axle. Both Quigley. so you are both right!

Ford ones need a redrilling to 8x6.5", Chevy has this as default bold pattern.

Same goes for me. I'll need (probably someday, not checked so far) a ford rotor but with 6.5" pattern. "Problem" with this is: As I live in Germany shipping will cost me the same as the rotors from Quigley in addition!

PS: it would be great to precise the thread headline. Instead of new rotors, "new rotors for a 2003 Quigley with an K30". This would enhance the search engine dramatically and cause less misunderstanding.
derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #13

Well no, plenty of people get told they have a Ford front axle in their Quigley only to discover it isn't.
All you have to do is call Quigley with your VIN and they will give you PART NUMBERS.

The thread is definitely about Quigleys regardless of what axle think you have.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Well no, plenty of people get told they have a Ford front axle in their Quigley only to discover it isn't.
All you have to do is call Quigley with your VIN and they will give you PART NUMBERS.

Thatīs what I said: Different Quigley conversions based on Ford OR Chevy axles. In either case you need to know what you are talking about, Ford or Chevy parts.

To source that you can go via Quigley (if they answer, which in my case was only once). They store documents that show the part list installed by Quigley in addition/change to Ford stock parts.

Or you can take a look on your axle. This is in most cases the better solution if you are not the first owner. You know things can change over the years.
derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by derJack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC

Thatīs what I said: Different Quigley conversions based on Ford OR Chevy axles. In either case you need to know what you are talking about, Ford or Chevy parts.

To source that you can go via Quigley (if they answer, which in my case was only once). They store documents that show the part list installed by Quigley in addition/change to Ford stock parts.

Or you can take a look on your axle. This is in most cases the better solution if you are not the first owner. You know things can change over the years.
Agree you should look at your axle, but unless someone has done an axle/brake swap, the brakes are going to be the same. Quigley are super helpful with part numbers (as I've posted in other threads). The trick is that sometimes even in the same model year they used different combinations of parts per vehicle. They keep full records and will look up your VIN. BTW there are plenty of Ford axles that use 8 x 6.5" so drilling Ford rotors is not a hard and fast rule.

Once you have the part number from them, e.g. Raybestos or Wagner or whatever, you can cross-reference to upgraded parts if you like, better pads, rotors etc. And they'll also tell you what needs machining. Taking the extra time ahead means you don't get faced with issues like re-drilling rotors. I spent several weeks chasing everything down but once I had it, my mechanic did the repairs and didn't have a single issue of something not fitting.

Joyce and Tiger at Quigley are really on the ball and very helpful. I'd start with Joyce because Tiger is sometimes busy in the shop. And they also are very open and don't want to force you to buy spares from them, they want to make it easy to get your rig serviced locally. I had them machine my rotors to clear the ABS sensor because I figured there was a better chance of them getting it right, even though they had sent me the drawing that I could have taken to a local shop. YMMV.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #16

"The trick is that sometimes even in the same model year they used different combinations of parts per vehicle. They keep full records and will look up your VIN."

Fortunately, Quigley has not gone the route of Pathfinder and disappeared. I had a 1976 K30 Pathfinder van. It was a nightmare figuring the Fraken-part that needed to be replaced. Had the manual and had to decipher part numbers from Chevy, Ford and Dodge. Nutso.

That is another of the reasons we went with Quadvan for our first conversion and Agile for our second. They use what you "brung" for brakes, and with the exception of some custom suspension parts, it is all Ford stock replacement parts for wear related items. And TTB for the awesome ride to boot.

Ray
Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Do you have your new van back yet Ray?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #18

Yes Dave, picked it up from Ramsey two weeks ago. Have to get going on the top w CCV.

Driving home from San Diego was so nice, super comfortable, handled really nicely. The Aerotank installed by Jake is superb, 45 plus real usable gallons. With the skid plate it is an inch and a bit lower than the Transfer Flow tank without skid plate. Sound of the diesel engine was fine on the freeway with stock exhaust and 3.55's. Averaged real GPS 18.25 mpg on the run from LA to Santa Nella avg. 65, had to force myself to go fill up since I still had plenty of fuel but wanted to get a baseline on mileage. Btw - when I filled up in Hawthorne (LA), diesel was $3.29/gal

Did you know Costco Bakersfield sells diesel fuel? Only Costco I have seen that does.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2831.JPG   IMG_2826.JPG   IMG_2825.JPG  
Old 12-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Can't wait to see it after the top and build out. I don't recall if you said when you plan to take it back to Colorado.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #20

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

This is a really nice van - I wanted to keep it.

"Ray, I've got bad news... your van was stolen... I'll send you a check for what you paid for it."

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote