Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #1

New Build: Looking to Upgrade all Brakes above stock

The build of my 2010 EB50 4x4 starts tomorrow, and I am trying to specify an upgrade to the brake system for the beast. They tell me they are using ventilated F450 rotors BRR147, which are not slotted. I am thinking I need slotted rotors on all 4 wheels, at least. Can anyone point me at a place to get such a thing? Also, are there other brake upgrades that are helpful, since this build is just getting started? (Braided brake lines, for example.)

RoamFarNWide

RoamFarNWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: New Build: Looking to Upgrade all Brakes above stock

Well last I knew, SMB offered at least 2-3 different brake upgrades themselves. That's probsbly a good place to start.

Personally I'm a big fan of braided lines, not in terms of performance, but for durability. I noticed the difference in braided lines on my motorcycle which I rode hard and fast, but I'm not sure you'd notice the difference on an SMB.

Slotted rotors should help keep the rotors cooler, not bad idea on a heavy vehicle.

Herb
Old 08-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #3

RoamFarNWide,

Try http://www.thebrakeman.com/superbrakes. SMB recommended me to this vendor. I spec'd out a front and rear package for my 07 Quigley and it came to about $1000 in parts. But this is a good place to start.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #4

Do you need anything better than stock?

Chances are they'll have no trouble locking up the tires with the regular '08+E/F-series brakes (unless going really tall with the tires). If the stock brakes can do that, then "upgrading" them won't gain you a thing. Even when I'm loaded to 24,000 pounds with trailer, I'm traction limited (now that I have '09 front brakes), so an additional brakes upgrade beyond the update I've already done won't help me stop any better.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Do you need anything better than stock?

Chances are they'll have no trouble locking up the tires with the regular '08+E/F-series brakes (unless going really tall with the tires). If the stock brakes can do that, then "upgrading" them won't gain you a thing. Even when I'm loaded to 24,000 pounds with trailer, I'm traction limited (now that I have '09 front brakes), so an additional brakes upgrade beyond the update I've already done won't help me stop any better.
I agree; my 450 I drive at work is heavy and has great stopping ability. Before you waste money for little gain, drive it and see what you think. There is a huge difference between 350 and 450 brakes. Not like you're saving money by ordering a van without brakes.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #6

I used F550 15" front rotors and Calipers on my project. I stuck with 2005 F350 rear rotors. I went with Drilled and Slotted Vented Rotors from R1 Concepts. I will be posting pics of my install in the next couple of days.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #7

I would suggest canceling the drilled rotors if you can. Due to the heat cycling of the rotors on these rigs, drilled rotors (even cryo treated) will crack in no time at all. Believe, I've tried them. Twice. Slotting works fine however, and is really nice when it's wet (wipes water from pads much faster).
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #8

Go to www.ebcbrakes.com & you'll learn most of what you need to know 'bout not drilling, slots, noise and no-noise, importance of matching pads for slotted rotors, & how to try to do too much. EBC is all over signtures in the truck camper world of blogging and they can have bigger braking problems than the vans do. EBC stuff is imported from GB; but at least they speak the same language (sorta).

JC
Old 08-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #9

im running power stop rotors and pads and i also had them HEAT TREAT & CRYO. 200% better brakes i can lock up 35" tires when my v an is loaded. its worth the money. I have these same rotor on my E350 Service van and i was putting brakes on every 6 months rotors to. scene I Put the Drilled Cryo rotors and there ceramic pads no problems. for over 1 year I have these on ever 4x4 I own. So i don't know what brand rotors you are using. But buy putting mine on its saved me thousands of dollars. of the cost of new brakes every 6 months and my service van down for a day.
Chimneyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimneyman
im running power stop rotors and pads and i also had them HEAT TREAT & CRYO. 200% better brakes i can lock up 35" tires when my v an is loaded. its worth the money. I have these same rotor on my E350 Service van and i was putting brakes on every 6 months rotors to. scene I Put the Drilled Cryo rotors and there ceramic pads no problems. for over 1 year I have these on ever 4x4 I own. So i don't know what brand rotors you are using. But buy putting mine on its saved me thousands of dollars. of the cost of new brakes every 6 months and my service van down for a day.

What is the cost for rotors and pads heat treated and cryo? I see they have the extreme duty towing and heavy vehicle pad as well. Cost of both items?

Anyone else have any experience with this company? I wonder how they compare to Brakeman which is recommended by SMB? Brakeman run about $900 for 4 rotors and pads for the SMB.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote