Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #1

New Coils and Plugs

I am looking to replace my OEM Coils and plugs on my 1997 E350 5.4L V8. I have heard to only use Motorcraft coils DG-508. On amazon it says the Motorcraft ones do not fit my van, but aftermarket suggestions will fit.
Does anyone have the OEM coil number and spark plug?
Amazon has the coil from motorcraft but Amazon says it doesnt fit, everyother site says its the right one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #2

You might just call a Ford dealer to get the number. Do you plan to replace the plugs yourself? It's a job that many people leave to the experts with the right tools to remove a broken plug, which seems to happen once in a while. I had a dealer do my 5.4, it was the first time ever that I took a vehicle to a dealer for a repair, I've always done my own, but I heard too many storys of what could go wrong. Plenty of people do their own though, I just didn't want to take a chance.........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #3

Plug your vin into Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com if you want the really right ford part number.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #4

Artictraveller that was the plan but now you're making me rethink it.
Thanks MadScience, I will do that for sure.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #5

If you do them yourself spray some PB Blaster down in the plug chambers a day or so before doing the job.
Why do you think you need coils, are you having misfire issues? It's a waste of money to replace all if only one or two are acting up, especially if you stick with Motorcraft parts, which I recommend. Test them and see which are bad and just replace those. Some last the life of the vehicle.
As for plugs I would change all those of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:30 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
Plug your vin into Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com if you want the really right ford part number.
That's a cool trick. I didn't know that one. Thank you!
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:36 PM   #7

86Scotty I am getting misfires, one coil and plug was replaced a few months back. Ran good for a bit, now getting another misfire. So changing all the coils and plugs, all are orginial. I have read to keep with Motorcraft but saw a suggestion from a few people on line about using Accel. They are about $100 less.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #8

Gotcha, if you're ready and willing to spend the money I completely understand. Just FYI, though, here's what I did on a 2005 V10 I recently bought. I had random misfires too and couldn't track them. I bought a couple new coils, all new coil boots, a package of dielectric grease and 10 new Motorcraft plugs.

Pull all plugs and coils, one at a time, check coil with multi-meter (I learned how on Youtube), replace plug and generously coat both ends of coil boot with dielectric grease when going back together. This solved all my problems. The worst part of the job is pulling the fuel rail out of the way.

I got all parts from Rock Auto, plugs were $2.47 apiece and boots were $2.90 apiece, big tube of dielectric grease from O'reilley Auto parts locally. I would recommend this even if you're putting new COP's in.

Our fleet mechanic at work recommended this over the cost of all new coils and he was spot on. None of my coils were actually bad. I kept the ones I bought as spares.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #9

Garage
So how do you know if your getting misfires other than the obvious feeling of something not right? Will you get a check engine light if its happening?

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
So how do you know if your getting misfires other than the obvious feeling of something not right? Will you get a check engine light if its happening?
Nope, very rarely will you get a misfire bad enough to cause a CEL on a Triton motor, and if you do, the CEL goes away usually. It's weird, CarringB explained it pretty well awhile back. My former Expedition misfired constantly and never threw a CEL, nor did it record a code that my scanner could find. Perhaps a dealer computer could, who knows.

Tags
coils, plugs