Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #1

New engines

When are the new diesel & gas engines from Ford going to be available in the vans ??? I have read one article, that in a 1 ton dually, combined fuel mileage average was 21 mpg but what was impressive is that towing a 10,000lb trailer in mountainous terrain was also included in the test, as was hwy, city driving.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #2

Re: New engines

6.7L won't fit, so not until they redesign the vans. But the 4.6L diesel will (same engine family). Ford is making these motors, but they are going into Land Rovers. I would love to see it in the vans. More power than the 6.0 and way better fuel economy.

The 6.2L gas motor probably won't show up, because the vans get the V10. Like the F450/550 the vans have a higher % commercial base, who require much longer service lives and low end grunt. The 6.2L was designed to battle the hoserpower marketing wars, not necessarily meet the needs of commercial buyers. That said... I'd love to see the V10 paired with the new 6-speed Auto.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:01 AM   #3

Have heard that in the 2011 passager vans the V10 are not any more available and they are reduced to 12 passenger max.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #4

It would sure be a shame to see the fullsize 4x4 vans go to the grave because no one wants to redesign the engine bay to fit the new engines. The new 6.2 has about the same output as the v-10. I have seen the new fullsize van replacement from ford already & it is majorly fugly. Like the caprice/impala---the best selling car EVER----hmmmm, so lets stop making it ??? I just don't understand it at all. Ford is HUGE in Europe, thier Fiesta gets 73 mpg hwy & 53 mpg cty w/a small diesel. The one they re-introduced here gets 40 mpg, WOW, my Corolla has been getting that for years. Contractors need fullsize vehicles. I just don't get it.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Maybe it's because diesel is expensive here. I don't think Americans care much about fuel efficiency.

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #6

I know I sure do care about mpg. But what choices do we have ? Our full size vehicles would do well with small diesels. Fuel efficiency would double from what we get now. My truck gets 10 mpg, but I ride a Suzuki DR650 motorcycle to work when I can, to help me out, as it gets about 60 mpg if I stay out of the throttle. We also own 2 Corolla's that get 40 mpg hwy & use the heck out of them. I try to keep my truck parked as much as possible. Americans are ready for smaller diesels. A guy I work with has a 07' Chevy 2500 HD Duramax diesel w/Allison trans. He has never towed anything with his 600 lb ft of torque, & it gets crappy mileage with this new ultra low sulpher diesel fuel.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinStick
I know I sure do care about mpg. But what choices do we have ?
I just put a bumper sticker on my SMB that says "Hybrid".

But yeah, we use the F250 7.3L as a daily driver. I can put anything in the bed, it's paid for and reliable. Of course my wife uses it too, because used vehicles seem to keep getting more expensive and the registration isn't cheap either.

It's tough because the 3 times I've really needed all that capacity and the several dozen more I've just used it as a safety factor are something I don't want to lose, but 90% of the time the capacity goes unused.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #8

Some discussion over on expeditionportal.com - if the following poster is correct, the E350 as we know it is history:

"Seems that the Econolines are going away. One of the magazines I subscribe to had photos of the new generation Ford van and it looks a lot like the Sprinter. Available in a lot of different sizes and with different power options including a small clean diesel. Whether it will be as stout as the Econolines remains to be seen."
Old 05-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #9

Sad to hear. Maybe I will have to find a used one or get an old Uni-Mog with the radio box & turn it into a go-anywhere camper ???
Old 06-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

2011 Transit

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote