Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 09:52 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelchef67 View Post
Bringing it back from the dead.. So how did the shocks work out??
I ended up getting the Bilstein comfort shocks. It's almost 3 years later and still riding great. They're pretty stiff! Maybe I'm just not used to a truck suspension but the rear suspension hits pretty hard over bumps. Handles great for a big van, especially after putting on some wider offset rims.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #42

wow that was fast , thanks for the update I'm still running 2002 stockers and finally need new ones
Old 10-31-2019, 10:12 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelchef67 View Post
wow that was fast , thanks for the update I'm still running 2002 stockers and finally need new ones
I don't think you'll be disappointed and you can't really beat lifetime warranty. I see you're in Vancouver! I'm actually from Toronto. Don't really see any Sportsmobiles out here on the east coast.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:26 AM   #44

+1 on what I guess are “comfort” Bilsteins...I went with the ones that were NOT for the Class C configuration.

Mine is a 2001 E250 extended body 2WD with EB50 floorplan and fiberglass “aero” high top. When we got it, it had about 129k mostly freeway miles on the original shocks and was very squirrelly going down the highway at anything more than about 55mph.

After the bilsteins, night and day better. We’ve put about 10k mi over the past 18 months on some long road trips. It’s still a rather rough ride in back, our dog can attest to that. But very comfortable up front.

And they most definitely “broke in” and the ride continued to get better. Still don’t like to drive this beast over about 65, though my wife pushes it up over 70.

Years ago I put bilsteins on a couple of older BMWs, and the upgrade in ride and handling was equally great, so I’m sold on the brand.
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #45

Guys, this all is GREAT information and discussion- I've been debating about shocks for the last year. 2001, E350 Super Duty, long body, 7.3L, 2WD, Cooper Discoverer HT's, 136K, very basic layout, no sink, no stove, etc Pop top. Just got it weighed.

3,600 Front
3880 Rear
7480...I image filling up the tank would add a bit

(NOTE- Sportsmobile Door tag is stating it weighs 9,400 total (4,060 from and 5,080 rear, haha- must have had it loaded up with a few people...?)

Not much in it, low fuel
Been debating about the HD's vs the "comfort series" and hitting the road soon

Appreciate the info and likely will go with "Comfort" series. Now, when I'm talking to Bilstein, they state they don't make a product for the "Super Duty" which is odd.

So we'll see what the local alignment and shock place recommends.
Michisurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:39 PM   #46

Bilsteins rv series are regular ( comfort) wheel base and hd long wheelbase RV's

I have comfort (reg wheelbase) shocks on my 5.4 e350 rb50 camper are happy with them.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #47
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michisurfer View Post
Appreciate the info and likely will go with "Comfort" series. Now, when I'm talking to Bilstein, they state they don't make a product for the "Super Duty" which is odd.

I've yet to discover any bit of difference in a so-called super duty E-Series---it seems to be nothing more than a name added to enhance an image rather than a quantifiable quality.

IOW its BS.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:03 PM   #48

Comfort series update? Need a smooother ride.
Beejmac is offline   Reply With Quote