Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #41

Re: New Smoke

I climbed a 4000 ft pass at 10% grade+ on a 100* day and hit EGT 852*. I was shocked.

Hopefully people reading this when considering pulling their motor will have a much lower threshold and simply do everything in one job. I did mine in three jobs at significant increased cost. Not doing so could change your vacation plans, eventually.

Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
...My EGT have decreased 300-400*...
The probe is mounted in the same place, right? If so, yeah, that is a huge difference.

Herb
Old 07-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #43

I know I have no business posting in this thread so I will keep it brief. I read this thread and did a quick search in the ford-trucks.com 6.0L forum for "melted piston" finding nothing definitive. Now I am even more confused by Ketcham's post. Water injection into a cylinder is explained to have a cooling effect:

"What Happens When You Inject Water Into a Diesel?
While water is a bad thing when found in the fuel source (fuel line freezing, effect on fuel injectors, etc.), when water is injected into the intake manifold of a diesel, increases in power, fuel economy and lower EGTs are the main benefits. The key to making the system work is fine atomization and injection at the correct time.

Many run 100% water to cool EGTs for a degree of safety while towing, racing or pulling. It’s cheap insurance. Over-the-road class 7&8 trucks are also using 100% water to primarily increase fuel economy, as well as to allow faster speeds on the mountain grades––where high EGTs would normally require the driver to back off the throttle. The drawbacks to 100% water are: (1.) increased propensity to quench combustion––less can be injected before eliciting combustion quench, so less total EGT cooling can be attained with straight water than with a methanol-water mix; (2.) Freezing in cold climates; (3.) less overall power increases, roughly 8% on water alone, as compared to a 20% increase with 50% methanol."

http://www.motortopia.com/dieselworld/t ... tion-2580/

How are you guys melting pistons by a blown headgasket?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #44

Excellent question!

Before it was at the base of the driver side up-pipe adjacent to the manifold. I moved it to the manifold 2" from the up-pipe to turbo. So should be same or hotter. It is measuring the cumulative hot gasses from all 4 cylinders. With the wrap and ceramic coating I felt to move in upstream a few inches.

-j
Old 07-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #45

The 50% ethylene glycol ignites at 770* creating a secondary fuel source and different flash point.

Water creates rust. Another issue altogether.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
The 50% ethylene glycol ignites at 770* creating a secondary fuel source and different flash point.

Water creates rust. Another issue altogether.
Thank you for unburying the lead, clearly stating the topic, etc. NOW, I get how a blown head gasket melts pistons!
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #47

I too am learning as I go, almost entirely from those on this forum smarter than I.

Someone perviously mentioned on another thread about detuning the 6.0 was necessary due to smaller radiator and tight engine compartment. I dismissed his comments out of hat.

I probably killed my motor when I switched to 80 econo tune. My engine only had 24k miles when it went into the shop and likey had issues at 12k miles.

It is cheaper to address bullet proof issues early and address them in their entirety, before engine damage.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #48

Lots of good info and experience here. Sounds like a harness might be a good idea and an EGT gauge with settable alarm might be an engine saver.
I replaced my air filter (it really didn't need it) and there's a little bit less smoke. Makes sense as the smoke has to come from not enough air/too much fuel. Guess there's a little bit more air coming in now, but, that's not the problem. There has to be an injector shooting in too much fuel. I just don't know how to check it other than dealership/shop testers and they keep telling me all is OK.
They just don't care until something is REALLY wrong and that's not acceptable to me.

Now my engine oil pan drain plug is leaking. Gonna be fun swapping that out when it's full of oil. Maybe I'll pack the pan in dry ice so the oil is too thick to flow....

Life is good.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
Now my engine oil pan drain plug is leaking. Gonna be fun swapping that out when it's full of oil. Maybe I'll pack the pan in dry ice so the oil is too thick to flow....

Life is good.
Just roll the van over.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #50

Go get another new drain plug with gasket. Just as you pull the old one out stick the new one in. I had to do it and lost less than a pint. A little oil on the arm though. Top it off and you're good to go.

Paul