Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

Garage
Oil additive that prolongs 6.o engine life?

Have a friend that swears he has had great success with an engine oil additive called "Turbo Maxx"...initially created specifically for the Powerstroke engine (or so the web site explains) and reduces friction better than anything else (Numerous U-tube video's that seem to be bias and "support" this claim).
http://www.zddpmaxx.com/shop-zddpmax...pq0uax5jx9omd4
I've always been very skeptical of these types of products, but I also installed a new 6.0 engine 20,000 miles ago that i would like to see last a long time.

This Forum has proved invaluable to me for the past several years, but can not find anything related to this topic using the search function

I know there are many very intelligent Mechanic & Engineer types on this forum that I'm hoping can shed some light.
Fluid maint is a big key to maintaining the engine - so I have learned from many here, but have to say that I know for a fact his engine oil & coolant temp went down about 5 degrees each a couple days after he added the product ( Ive seen the difference on his scan gauge from where the engine used to run)...Engine idles quieter as well.

I wouldn't even entertain posing these questions, but the results from my friends 6.0 has me conflicted - Is it possible this stuff actually works as described?
And before I pull the trigger on trying it myself, can anyone clarify if this type of product could have any sort of adverse reaction to the motor? (FYI - Not sure it would make any difference, I also have the Amsoil dual bypass filter)
Appreciate any input!

Old 09-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Make sure it doesn't cause issues with any Espar or similar diesel fired equipment (if you have any). I used Ford cetane booster for a few years then switched to Hot Shot. I've been running Archoil for the last couple of years after the engine was bullet proofed. FWIW the engine had 92K on it when I had it gone through and the shop said it looked great. Also I will say that my Espar units have not had issues with the additives I've used over the years. YMMV
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...100-14830.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:53 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks! - I did read through the link you provided and from those responses I decided it cant do any harm...so I just purchased the "Turbo Maxx" oil additive and will give it a try.
Will be interesting to see if I indeed notice any difference.

I religiously use the ford fuel additive, but will check out the others mentioned.
Appreciate the response
Old 09-09-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Yeah and I mixed the two subjects here...sorry if any confusion. I'm using the same product when going with the fuel and the oil treatment. Both are supposed to help with stiction I guess.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #5

Garage
As many members do, I too felt compelled to add a follow up in hopes it might help others...I'm impressed!

After adding the Turbo Maxx, and driving over 600 miles, I can say it actually works - turned this skeptic into a believer.

Both my Oil and Coolant tempts have dropped 5 to 6 degrees - this is driving the same route & speed I have done so many times in the past (outdoor temp was essentially identical as well). ***started seeing a real difference around 200 miles of travel***
Old 09-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
MSD

Garage
This is great info I'll be moving over to turbo maxx with my next oil change. Thanks for the follow up [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote