Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #1

Oil Capacity for Ford V10

I was changing oil in the van last weekend and noticed the manual states that the oil capacity with a filter change is 6 quarts. But the van came with both a V8 and a V10 option. Is 6 quarts the capacity for both? Online I see the 30 valve V10 being listed with a 7 quart capacity.

I've always used 6 quarts and have had no issues. The dipstick never works for me since the oils level gets smeared by the time I get the three feet of stick out of the tube. Anyone use 7 quarts in their modern V10? Mine is a 2013 model year van.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #2

The vans never got the 3 valve.

The v10 takes just a hair under 6 quarts if you don't want to get close to over-filling it. Mine does not appear to consume any oil under any circumstances so far.

The dipstick should work fine if you pull it out, wipe it off, and then put it back in to take a reading. Are you sure you're not looking at the transmission fluid dip stick? That'll smear all over the tube unless it's hot.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

Ah. Didn't know we never got that motor. I was basing the 7 quarts on this:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...G1746490&div=f

I definitely got the oil dipstick. I'll give it another shot but I never seem to be able to read it. Mine never seems to go through any oil at all either. I just turned 12,000 miles so it's barely broken in yet.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #4

A common hack for a messy dipstick is spraying it with brake cleaner to get rid of any oil on it. Let it dry before re-inserting, and it should pick up far less other oil/grease.

I'm just under 160k miles. I do change it at 3k intervals after I got a little bit of sludge at 5k.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Simply echoing what's already been posted but the 5.4 manual on capacities says 5.7 quarts with new filter. (Why anyone would or does change oil and not the filter at the same does not compute. ) I fill the filter first letting any trapped air bubble up until its about full, rub a bit of oil on the gasket to aid its sealing.

Making sure the old gasket has been removed carefully place the filled filter in place and tighten---I use a wrench to make sure its snug. Honestly most manufacturers say hand tight is more than sufficient but I'm not all that sure.

Oh BTW I buy my FL820S Motorcraft from Amazon or eBay by the dozen, pay just about $3.5 each, free shipping most times. Oil of choice is Valvoline MaxLife in the 5 quart jugs, Amazon on occasion running a special of $17.87 each---I'll buy 6 twice for a total of 12 5 qt jugs spaced out over a few days as they do limit purchase of these at that price. Of course if you're a Prime member that price is good year round.

BTW I current have 3 E-Series, change oil every 3K to 4K miles---it pays to buy in bulk!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote