Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #1

Oil Change Interval

I have a 2005 SMB with the 6.0 and 80k on the odometer. I drive about 6,000 miles per year, the majority of it in the more pleasant months. So The Van gets to rest in the garage from late October until early April. I take it out once a week or so and drive it enough to get the engine up to operating temp and to keep things lubed.

There has been some discussion about changing oil based on time, rather than miles. I've never had to add any oil between changes. Ford recommends changing oil every 7,500 miles under "normal" conditions. I'm pretty "normal", 90% of the miles on The Van are highway or long distance and I don't use it as a daily driver. I'd just like to keep the big fella' happy and well maintained.

Any thoughts about oil change intervals?

Old 12-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #2

Greetings Flyfisher. I've done similar mileage as you on my van since I've owned it. Also a 2005 6.0 4x4 with about 90k now. I change mine once a year if I haven't reached say 5-7k in that year. One year the van mostly sat and I still felt changing oil once a year was a good idea. I'm sure it could be debated over what is best or even Blackstone tested but I'm just comfortable at the moment with once a year if based on time.

Edit: I'm also assuming when you say time you mean, haven't reached the 7.5k miles in a long while not hours of engine run time. I don't worry about the hour of run time for I don't idle for long periods. Because, well, it's a 6.0.
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
I agree. Not worth taking a chance. I am using the Amsoil twin filter system and oil and still change it every 5-7K miles. Cheap insurance if you do it yearly if you're under 7000 miles. I did let mine go to 12K one time and did the Blackstone Lab test. Came back fine but I still shoot for about 7K.

I'd also installed a coolant filter and change the coolant more often than Ford suggests.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #4

The standard verbiage typically for gas engines is X,XXX miles or once a year which ever comes first. Some other vehicles are 5,000 miles (some 7,500 miles) or once a year which ever comes first. Those with oil change indicators usually say change oil when the indicator tells you to or one year which ever comes first.

Personally in my small block Chevy 350 engine I use 5W30 Mobil I and change once a year or 12,000 which ever comes first and for me I hit the 1 year limit first most the time. If I lived in a dusty area of the country I would change every 3,000-5,000 miles and not use Mobil I.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #5

Here is some light discussions about oil if anyone is in the mood or can't sleep.

https://youtu.be/6VLMfUz34R0

and

https://youtu.be/gmMfsGpb_L4

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote