Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #51

Re: Oil Cooler System and EGR replacement now avail for E-se

Herb, is it that obvious? Lol

Are there issues/concerns like this with the Chevy diesel? From everthing I have read on here it does not appear so? Did I miss a thread?

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Herb, is it that obvious? Lol

Are there issues/concerns like this with the Chevy diesel? From everthing I have read on here it does not appear so? Did I miss a thread?
With the Chevy engine, I don't think so, though at least on this forum there aren't many represented so I'm not sure there's an adequate sample size. As for fuel additive, I think every diesel should be running fuel now that we have ULSD at every pump. I also run fuel additive on our '05 VW Passat TDI wagon.

I don't believe the Chevy chassis is quite as robust as the Ford chassis, so it depends on what kind of, and how much, four wheeling you may do.

Herb
Old 06-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggd
Rob ,
I like yourself know very little about the Diesels and my experience over the last 9months and 8,000 plus mile of various trips has been that I am running stronger and a little cooler . I kept track of a couple trips pulling our 24 foot Bay Ranger Boat to San Diego Bay and Pyramid Lake
on the Grapevine and in both cases I down shifted less and watched the temperatures stay at a nearly constant 215 degrees while pulling the steeper gradients . On previous trips under nearly identical conditions I was at 220 to 224 degrees and had the auto fan going off and on the entire time and had to down shift to 3rd gear on 5 occasions and 2nd gear once when slowed by a laboring 18 wheeler in front of me . My reasoning as uneducated as it might be is the temperatures are staying down as a result of the additional horse power and I noticed that at the completion of of a steeper section's of the these grades that temperature's would immediately drop down to more desirable levels and the engine would mellow out as sooner than previous trips . On a trip to Moab last Fall I pulled I- 70 with the Utility Trailer filled with
Camping Gear and my wife's 800 Outlander Ltd in 80 degree weather and only had the fan come on 4 times for short periods and only downshifted to 3rd gear 2times on the entire grade. I ran this entire trip at setting#2 Towing !
All three of my children were along in their E-350 Quigley V- 10's were amazed at the speeds that I maintained and on a couple of occasions I actually had to pull to the side of the road and wait on them . It would seem that the additional power at lower temperatures at the beginning of a grade allow for easier going thru the steeper sections of the road . I would also add that I use the FORD Cetene Booster religiously on the longer trips and the Opti Lube that Mike mentioned in one of his post's the rest of the time , I also cut all of my service schedules in half . Joann my Bride even comments frequently that the Van sure is running good which always drop's my eyes to the gauge for verification and a flash of happy .
Rob you are close enough that you could drive our Van and see if you notice any desirable difference before you make any decisions , I think we are very similar in size and weight .
Greggd
Thanks Greg,
I'm happy with the current setup, but if I do decide to proceed with an edge programmer, will certainly take you up on the offer before deciding. I've been happy with zylstra and think they are straight-shooters.
R
Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #54

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Greggd-
You said that maybe the temps. were staying down as a result of the increased horsepower.
Somehow, I can't subscribe to this theory. Horsepower IS heat. The more you make the hotter it is. However, perhaps with the added horsepower the engine can work more efficiently at the task asked of it in a particular situation, and so run cooler. I'd love to hear someone on here who knows what they're talking about offer some comment on this as it's an interesting topic and an important one as well.
Bill
Old 06-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #55

Bill ,
The only way that I can explain this is that the engine is not laboring nearly as much while pulling the said grades and does not need to drop to a lower gear's at a higher RPM's to create additional Turbo Boost that creates additional EGT's that requires the coolant to circulate with a greater frequency to maintain your Oil Temperature .
This is as close as I am able to remember what the boys at Bank's Engineering explained to me
when I posed your nearly same question to them .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #56
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
When is it recommended?
I'd say before you go to any place that will cost you 5 grand to have your van recovered by a tow service. I've said it before, I'm more scared of the engine failing in the backcountry I drive than the class V trails I attemped from time to time.

I'd also like to know how much it costs though.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
I was researching how to modify the 6.0 and contacted Bulletproofdiesel.com and asked if the F-series kit is compatible. The F-series kit is not compatible. He said the E-series kit is coming out in about two weeks. These replacements would address the EGR Cooler and Engine Oil Cooler issues. If interested, contact. Gene Neal 602-620-1544

http://www.ntshoptools.com/magazines/DWcomboPt1.pdf

http://www.ntshoptools.com/magazines/DWcomboPt2.pdf

I have no affiliation with them. This is information I would like to have to fix it right, especially when it is this expensive.

-j
I got a call from Bulletproofdiesel.com today. They have their first run of kits available for the E-series. I was short on time when he called and I'm not ready to pull the trigger on this yet, but I told him I would spread the word here. Here are a couple of quick take-aways from the short conversation:

1. He said they have about 5 kits available which they are offering to those who showed initial interest first. After they see how that goes, they will go into full production.

2. They haven't done one for a customer yet. For just the oil cooler installed he said would be about $3,500.

3. He mentioned the cooler is placed behind the front bumper. Didn't think of it while I was on the phone, but it strikes me that it depends on the "scoop" of the stock Ford front bumper. For those of us with aftermarket front bumpers, that seems like it would negate the necessary airflow. I would definitely mention that to them before showing up with your van for the install. Could be a show-stopper.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #58
Site Team

Garage

Ya plus mention the slow crawl we do often. That is my main problem with the trany and high temps. I run the Ford fuel additive for the other obvious reasons. I can't do an EGR block in Ca not to mention that my engine is still on warrantee. If these guys get a solution for the problems with EGR as well as adding a tunner and the studs/gaskets going, I'm all ears.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #59

Wanted to post that I have gone 7000 miles with an EGR Delete in a 2010 yr van with no engine error code.

In anticipation for this issue, I had tried to place some custom tunes with Jody Tipton but the SCT tuner does not support the 2010 model van and a year later, they just say hold tight for a firmware upgrade. So I have been running stock with no issues.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote