Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #1

Oil Pan Weeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolost

Perhaps unrelated, oil now weeps/seeps out of the bottom/rear of the engine.

My pan weeps oil in the same location as well.
Has anyone solved the problem. Is it just bolt tightening? Anyone know the torque settings?

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ
Perhaps its due to an over pressure condition caused by the AMS oil sytem being reversed. Assuming you have an AMSoil system.

It might indicate the need to change out the pan gasket and retorque to spec.

Just maybe?

Old 12-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #3

Charlie, it's a little hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like there is some oil higher up on the engine too. You might want to pull the dog house and check your rocker arm covers. That's a pretty common oil leak area and the oil will run down to the pan. Also, when you're driving around the air currents will move the oil around and make it look like it's coming from somewhere that it's not. If nothing else, clean EVERYTHING, and go for a short drive. Then look for any new oil drips. Pain in the butt. Good luck with it.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #4

Mine does the same thing. In fact, every vehicle with a 6.0psd motor I've ever seen has the same oil film and droplet accumulation on the bell housing. A search over on www.thedieselstop.com turns up numerous threads, and strongly suggests that this is near-universal condition with the 6.0 motors. And there is no clear consensus on where the oil is actually coming from. Theories abound on that question. Not saying it is 'ok', just that it seems to be 'normal'. As long as the rate of accumulation remains constant (and very minimal), I don't worry about it.
Rob
Old 12-15-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Strange because mine has been dry since day one. I did have a bit of oil drop on the driveway after the sensor failed but the shop said there would be some and they tried to steam off as much as possible after the repair. I cleaned it up a week ago and not a bit has dropped yet. Time will tell.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #6

A very common 6.0PSD problem is a poor seal between the bed plate and the block. Mine had a oil leak very similar to what is pictured in this thread and that was the cause. The proper fix requires pulling the engine and re-finishing the mounting surfaces. Mine was fixed under warranty (took them a little over a week) and hasn't leaked a drop since. The dealership said that Ford's remedy does not require pulling the engine, but they never could achieve a good repair using Ford's recommended procedure and Ford would not reimburse the dealer for more than one attempt. When my van went in for the repair, they had two Excursions in for the same repair.

Not saying that is your problem, but mine looked similar and that was my problem.

Good luck!

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #7

Re: Oil Pan Weeping

I have the exact same problem. Well, maybe not the same problem, but the same symptoms. It is a very minor leak as far as I can tell, but it also annoys me. Looks like I will be taking it to a dealership to see what can be done under warranty since any repair is beyond my incredibly limited "expertise".

Has anyone else other than Phil had this fixed?

This is immediately behind the oil pan. I'm not positive it is an oil leak, although the fluid sure seems like it. Tough to tell in the picture, but the oil is starting pretty high up the "bell".
Old 02-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #8

My 05 SMB is in the shop now with this problem. Bed plate might be the cause. They said it is a warranty item. I should know something in a day or two.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #9

Thanks for the followup B & J. Definitely keep us posted with what you find out. Mine has been doing this for quite some time now, I'm just finally thinking about dealing with it.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by b & j
My 05 SMB is in the shop now with this problem. Bed plate might be the cause. They said it is a warranty item. I should know something in a day or two.
Definitely let us know the root cause, and the (warranty) fix. I also have a very slight seep, but I don't know if it's better to live with it, or have Ford fix it and risk screwing something else up with the tear-out and reinstallation. I'm leaning towards leaving it as-is.

Herb