Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #1

OT Video about CANBUS engine swap project

We've watched MG's Cummins swap and marvelled at his myriad talents.

This video talks about putting a Hellcat drivetrain in a Plymouth Superbird. They put every single part into to try and satisfy the CANBUS system requirements.

It is a little vague and wanders around the subject, but does touch upon the difficulty of such a swap. Just like the MG Cummins project.

Discussions like this further impress upon me the depth of Michael's skills and his boneheaded dedication to seeing it through.

Well done.

Video shows at top of the page.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...5chuux9Do&_rdr

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Old 12-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
...Discussions like this further impress upon me the depth of Michael's skills and his boneheaded dedication to seeing it through....
Boneheaded!!!!??? Um...I prefer stubborn yet persistent...

Keeping all of the systems in tact is definitely the challenge. They're going pretty deep into that car's architecture so I imagine that they've had some pretty tricky things to sort out. What a fun project though.

The Cummins project is similar in a lot of ways but I've gone to great lengths to strip away the Chrysler portion of the Cummins engine electronics in order to simplify things. It would have been a nightmare had I tried to integrate the Ram trucks electronics into the van. Totally unnecessary for one but also Chrysler's wiring scheme is over-complicated compared to the Ford van. I didn't see any reason why I couldn't make things work with the Ford wiring as long as I had a fundamental understanding of each system...which over the course of the last 3.5+ years, I've been able to wrap my head around pretty good.

CAN bus isn't that complicated to understand at a data processing level but the automakers definitely go the extra mile to make it very difficult to figure out how they're handling data via their proprietary formatting. It takes hours of data logging to just to get the low hanging fruit. It can takes months of work to figure out the hard stuff. After my van is running and driving, I fully expect it to take until spring/summer to get the A/C functioning properly since there are so many things affected by that system being on. Same with the exhaust brake. I know which data packet turns it on in the ECM but I'm still trying to sort out how to tell the Allison to activate it's engine braking algorithm via a data link.

I wish I had the opportunities that shop has. They build some cool stuff for some very wealthy clients. That's so incredibly rare to have those kinds of opportunities.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Boneheaded!!!!??? Um...I prefer stubborn yet persistent...

...which over the course of the last 3.5+ years, I've been able to wrap my head around pretty good.

I'll stand by my words. Especially when you give that time frame to get it figured out. Winston Churchill's boneheaded determination saved Britain.

I trust you got the name of the contact the guy in the video quoted as being the Detroit based Canbus guru.

Now finish your dinner and get back to the shop. Too much inside time probably scares your wife.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

As challenging as that build is, it makes Michael's build even more impressive. Seems they probably retained a good portion of the factory harness and added the features to the old chassis. Their can sniffing seems to be focused of finding factory elements that need to be added.

Whereas MG had to introduce all new code to his canbus system and teach all the gm, dodge and ford parts to speak one language of data. Amazing!
bcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #5

I disagree on them having kept any of the original harness.

They allude to a problem of the dome light giving them grief to the point of having to put the modern one into the classic. The tail lights are going to be modern as well.

Note the electronics on the rear package tray under the window. The computer is everywhere.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #6

hmmm... I see what you are saying there. Completely possible too.

I suppose I interpreted the retention of the original dome light as an indication that they needed the domelight generated data for the canbus system and therefore couldn't eliminate that part of the harness.

Based on following Michael's approach, I would guess that he would have stuck a microcontroller somewhere in the system which sent (spoofed) the expected packets without actually having to add the domelight. This does assume the domelight wasn't wanted and just stuck in because the code was needed. It would also have required them to sniff out when the domelight was sending packets and what the purpose of the packets was.

Both projects are far, far above my ability level to even begin to comprehend. Appreciate the original post and sharing of ideas. Amazing amount of expertise.
bcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #7

I don't know much about the Hellcat or its systems but thankfully the Cummins ECM isn't dependent on dome lights for any of its functionality.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote