We had a vacuum pump failure leaving the Biltmore this year after the Expo east. It seized, and by the time I got to a good place to pull over, the serpentine belt had come apart. We just so happened to come to a stop in front of a very nice family's house. They invited us to pull into their backyard and camp for the night... Which was extra fun due to a steep incline and no power steering.
I took an uber to Napa on Sunday morning and grabbed a new belt and vacuum pump (be sure to get the one with the a new pulley already installed). Had everything back together in 2-3 hours. The 7.3L vac pump has 3 bolts, a couple that were kinda tough to get at but nothing too bad. I'd recommend adding a set ratcheting box wrenches to your tool kit (10 MM bolts on the vac pump). The serpentine belt was a whole lot easier to route with an extra set of hands, thanks Charlie (the guy whose house we camped out at came out to see how I was doing right about this point).
All in all, we spent an extra night in NC and about $200. The new-to-me 7.3L has around 250k on it. I'd be curious to know if this was the first failure. Definitely would have been a serious problem if we'd been in the backcountry. I've added this to the preventative maintenance list after another 100k.
2000 Ford 7.3L EB Sportsmobile w/ UJOR