Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #31

Re: PowerStroke Bulletproofing Tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Folks

dont have a diesal and still cant spell it

however, not to hi jack, but would someone tell me
the advantage of one if you always have to mod/tinker/worry

just askin boys

bw
Diesel is for those guys who wanted to grow up and drive trucks or bulldozers but had the good sense to become Bankers or Engineers or something else worthwhile. They can now go back to that sandbox.
BRRMM. BRRMM.
Silver, we all know you hate diesels, you have since day one on here.
I never got out of the "sandbox". I pretty much only ride in, and drive diesels for work and most of our play.
I haven't tinkered with mine other than adding a coolant filter but in the back of my mind I do have a bit of worry that the 6.0L will someday take a poop. For us, the SMB was used and had all the options we wanted and the price was right. I wanted a 7.3L diesel but ended up with a 6.0L. Overall, the mileage is great compared to a V10 and it has an ton of torque.
That's about it, nothing that special, uh and I do like the sound.
My parents are looking at SMB's and I am recommending to them that they find a V10, just because there is less to worry about and they are quiet.

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
Quote:
Quote:
Folks

just askin boys

bw
Diesel is for those guys who wanted to grow up and drive trucks or bulldozers but had the good sense to become Bankers or Engineers or something else worthwhile. They can now go back to that sandbox.
BRRMM. BRRMM.
Silver, we all know you hate diesels, you have since day one on here.
I never got out of the "sandbox". I pretty much only ride in, and drive diesels for work and most of our play.
I haven't tinkered with mine other than adding a coolant filter but in the back of my mind I do have a bit of worry that the 6.0L will someday take a poop. For us, the SMB was used and had all the options we wanted and the price was right. I wanted a 7.3L diesel but ended up with a 6.0L. Overall, the mileage is great compared to a V10 and it has an ton of torque.
That's about it, nothing that special, uh and I do like the sound.
My parents are looking at SMB's and I am recommending to them that they find a V10, just because there is less to worry about and they are quiet.
BW, Diesel is about 40% more efficient all other things equal. To produce a constant 300hp over an hour, a diesel will burn 15 gallons while a gasser will burn 25 (I know those numbers are high but in reality nobody drives with the hammer down all the time, which is what 300hp is). That's why one can realistically see V10s running as low as 10mpg and diesels running 16 or above.

The current worries with the 6.0 are confined to that particular engine and one could argue not catastrophic and also well documented and understood. In every other sense, diesels are the much simpler, much more reliable choice. That is clearly reflected in resale prices...at any given time there are a lot fewer gassers on the used market but they are still priced much lower than diesel. Same story for every product/market where gas competes with diesel.

Saline, if your parents are looking for a quieter choice, in all seriousness if you can live with all of a Chevy's warts (as discussed by others here, some valid, some myths), I would encourage them to look at the Duramax. It is much quieter than a Powerstroke, (although from what I hear the new 6.7 scorpion is very quiet if it ever makes it into Econolines). There is in particular an '08 Duramax on the SMB Fresno listing that is absolutely loaded for the price if they want/can live with the IFS/low clearance option. Food for thought..
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #33

Hey Saline,

I don't hate Diesels. I'm one of those guys who never stopped playing with trucks. The somewhat successful trucker in me just cannot see the ROI in having one in this kind of vehicle. If you can see the logic of an oil cooler for the same price as a Re man gas engine, installed, taxes in and out the door then please tell me. I have obviously missed something. I suspect it must be something else that would cause a person put up with such an engine as the 6.0. Its about how it makes you feel.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #34

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Quote:
Quote:
Folks

just askin boys

bw
BRRMM. BRRMM.
Yikes,
Bankers? Really? Worthwhile? Where have you been? Wow.

I'll take truck drivers over bankers anytime.

Z

PS: That said, I will admit my pee-pee does love a good diesel.

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #35

Z,

Now that's funny right there.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #36

All,
I found my leak. It was coming from the rubber hose that connects the oil cooler to the EGR cooler. The factory pressed clamp was not tight enough. I replaced it with a hose clamp that can be tightened. My repair still needs to pass the test of time but looks good so far.
Splurgemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to lobo_q3a

Quote:
Quote:
Folks

just askin boys

bw
BRRMM. BRRMM.

so?

:-)
lobo_q3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
I wanted a 7.3L diesel but ended up with a 6.0L.
That's me, because the SMB4x4 wasn't readily available on the 7.3L at the time I was buying. In hindsight, and having gotten experience many other peoples vans I'd be happy with anything from an early 90s 7.3 to the V10. I'd buy another 6.0 as soon as a V10, and base my purchase largely on other factors- given otherwise identical SMBs with diesel and V10, I'd go with the V10, but there really aren't any identical SMBs anyway, so I doubt it will be problem.