Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
I used a dual (in series, probably overkill) catch can setup on my Lightning. It can work well and still evacuate crank case gasses and not gum up the inter cooler. The stock L PCV setup would suck oil so bad it would totally gum up the IC core without some sort of oil separator. Not all catch cans are the same. Some work much better than others due to internal construction.
Lightning’s are supercharged, right? Good to hear a first hand account of an oil filled intercooler, and catch cans solving it.

Like that smoking Toyota I fixed, your L has a closed pcv, keeping that oily vapor out of the combustion chamber will be good for making more power, too!

The more internal surface area, for oil to condense onto, the better. On this one racecar breather tank I built, I used internal sheet metal baffles, made from a cheese grater if you can believe that, LOL. Works great and is cleanable, too!

TomsBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Lightning’s are supercharged, right? Good to hear a first hand account of an oil filled intercooler, and catch cans solving it.

Like that smoking Toyota I fixed, your L has a closed pcv, keeping that oily vapor out of the combustion chamber will be good for making more power, too!

The more internal surface area, for oil to condense onto, the better. On this one racecar breather tank I built, I used internal sheet metal baffles, made from a cheese grater if you can believe that, LOL. Works great and is cleanable, too!

Factory supercharged, yes; and then I built a turbo system for mine using a large frame (t6) 82mm turbo eventually before I sold it.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I had no idea that California had diesel emissions testing. I guess I've been gone longer than I realized.

My example with the oil burning Toyota, was a gasoline 1zz, with 160k miles, these things were known to wear out the rings early. Mine was burning 1qt every 1000 miles, more oil as time went on.

But, my 2006 VW TDI was required to pass emissions every 2yrs, I think that's a newer requirement.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #74

The modified factory breather box (on the driver's side valve cover) flipped around so it faces the rear of the van, reinstalled, with -12 AN fittings and stainless steel braided hose.

The the Moroso breather tank mounted to the drivers side frame rail, mounted as high as I could get it.

Another thing crossed off the list

Old 06-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #75

a game of inches...

My 1995 7.3 Diesel van has (2) underhood batteries (I think the latter ones had only 1 underhood, and one frame mounted). Going into this, I figured I'd have to move one or both underhood batteries out of the engine compartment and down onto the frame rails. I even bought Ford frame rail battery boxes to do so.

With creative routing of the hot side boost tube, I was able to plumb around the driver's side battery. But the cold side boost tube is another story, it interferes with the passenger side battery.

After taking some measurements, and removing the battery isolator, I was able to move that battery over enough to gain the needed room.

I'm a stickler for solid battery mounting, in fact, it's one of the first things the tech inspectors will fail your car for, at the racetrack, and for good reason. Being 4X4, my rig has to have solidly mounted stuff, the batteries being no exception. Yeah, it takes longer to do it right, but that's the life I lead.

The factory Ford battery tray pressing and clamp system is a pretty good design, mine is all in good condition, no corrosion, and works well. The body to tray support brackets, too. I just need to move the whole mess over 2-1/4"

cut, grind, weld, drill, clean up and paint to match... sound familiar?

excuse the add-on reinforcement metal, it was getting late, I grabbed what I could find in a hurry, no one will see it, except you, and me

Bolts flush fitting

Old 06-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #76

Garage
I know its been a haul to get to this point, along with a lot of creative & strategic application applied to your project... all very interesting (and impressive) to follow. Continues to be a good read!
Old 06-30-2019, 11:11 PM   #77

It fits... Snug, but the cold side boost tubes fits between the battery and the dip stick tube, heat hose, and air filter box.

Now I have to deal with the battery isolator box, that was displaced when I moved the battery over...

A few screws to service the battery, but given the alternative, several bad choices, I can deal with that.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:07 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I know its been a haul to get to this point, along with a lot of creative & strategic application applied to your project... all very interesting (and impressive) to follow. Continues to be a good read!

Thanks Two!

This and the fuel system repair oil leak abatement turned into pretty big jobs.

In the middle of it all, I got married, changed jobs, took a couple 1 month breaks off this project... now I'm ready to be finished.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #79

I am truly impressed with this article every time you post updates! Thanks for sharing this with all of us!
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #80

Great thread Tom

Very thought out and meticulously built project

Thanks for sharing
OutlawImages is offline   Reply With Quote