Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #1

quick disconnect coolant line on back of motor...

So, I keep smelling this smell of coolant and am freaking out because I cannot find any puddles or any signs of moisture anywhere...

Well, until now. I took off the dog house in preparation to replace the spark plugs. Well, I am looking around and just taking in everything and looking for wet spots, manifold bolts, etc.

I see some moisture on the driver's side manifold where it meets the exhaust pipe. It is wet and I look upwards and track it to a quick disconnect line that has a drip waiting to fall. BINGO!!

Part of me is excited as the fix SHOULD be simple. I assume it is an o-ring and needs to be pulled apart and replaced. Similar to quick connect fuel lines we have on motorcycles... I haven't got my service manuals yet and am taking a guess...

So, I took and unconnected the line and it started to run out signaling that it will not shut off. Now, maybe it will discard a little and stop like fuel lines do, but wasn't going to take a chance.

I wanted to ask the fellow V10 owners what they have done if they have been presented with this issue.

Oh, and I found a few snapped off manifold nuts. Yet, no sound of spitting or leaks... I might hold off for a spell until Spring before I tackle that issue... I was pretty pissed though!!

Also, on the back of the upper intake manifold where it meets the engine, there is a spot in the rear where an o-ring is visible yet it is not covered. Almost like the upper manifold was designed different than what was needed. Not sure why the o-ring would still be there if not covered or needed. The manifold also is not broken off, but it does look as if it were chipped off and is not covering what it should. I will try and take a pic to make it easier to understand...

Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #2

Re: quick disconnect coolant line on back of motor...

Anyone know what I can do with this thing?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

Maybe you could PM carringb, he is the most knowledgeable for V10's.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

You might be able to toss in a new O-ring, but I've found installing a new disconnect is usually needed. NAPA sells them (Ford Heater line repair fitting). Cut off the old one, and use a hose clamp to install the repair fitting.

My V10 also had broken manifold studs. It never leaked. But I ended up installing the Banks PowerPack at 115,000 miles, so that fixed the issue for good. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts leaking.

Your observation about the manifold is a result of the modular construction of the V10. The v8 and v10s are identical except the number of cylinders. And the same head used on both banks.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
You might be able to toss in a new O-ring, but I've found installing a new disconnect is usually needed. NAPA sells them (Ford Heater line repair fitting). Cut off the old one, and use a hose clamp to install the repair fitting.

My V10 also have broken manifold studs. It never leaked. But I ended up installing the Banks PowerPack at 115,000 miles, so that fixed the issue for good. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts leaking.

Your observation about the manifold is a result of the modular construction of the V10. The v8 and v10s are identical except the number of cylinders. And the same head used on both banks.

You da man, carringb!! True asset for this site!!