Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #11

Re: Rear brake upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
Technically the front brakes are upgraded from stock 07 E350 simply due to the front Dana 60, hence the 17 inch wheels to accommodate the bigger brakes.

I'll have to find a Ford dealer willing to sit down and go over parts. Maybe an 07 E450 would work better than the 08 parts. It will take some homework.
The 350 and 450 have different wheels and bolt patterns. 450 is 10 bolt dually wheels. Stick with the 350 non-dually unless you really want to spend alot of money.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #12

[quote=Ford_6L_E350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "j.whitbread":1oe28wl4
Technically the front brakes are upgraded from stock 07 E350 simply due to the front Dana 60, hence the 17 inch wheels to accommodate the bigger brakes.

I'll have to find a Ford dealer willing to sit down and go over parts. Maybe an 07 E450 would work better than the 08 parts. It will take some homework.
The 350 and 450 have different wheels and bolt patterns. 450 is 10 bolt dually wheels. Stick with the 350 non-dually unless you really want to spend alot of money.

Mike[/quote:1oe28wl4]

The E350 and E350 have the exact same bolt pattern and wheels. (8 x 6.5")
Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
If you come even close to 50/50, it's very unstable braking at speed, since it's so easy to lock the rear vs front. Clever proportional brake valves will increase the rear % depending on the load (usually gauged by how much sag in the rear suspension), but the Ford van doesn't have this.
I'm pretty sure I am at 50% or greater rear brake bias when towing heavy, based on pad life considering the rear brake pads have more swept area (slightly). Remember this braking system is used on very rear-heavy cutaway chassis, so in rear heavy applications more rear brake bias is needed. Maybe next time I'm towing I'll trow some rotor temp paint and compare.

Brake bias is controller electronically through the ABS system. The system measure minute differences in wheel speed and adjusts the brake bias accordingly. Much more accurate than a old style proportioning valve. So yes, the Ford vans do have that.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #14

You're right, I was stuck in F-Series land.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
If you come even close to 50/50, it's very unstable braking at speed, since it's so easy to lock the rear vs front. Clever proportional brake valves will increase the rear % depending on the load (usually gauged by how much sag in the rear suspension), but the Ford van doesn't have this.
I'm pretty sure I am at 50% or greater rear brake bias when towing heavy, based on pad life considering the rear brake pads have more swept area (slightly). Remember this braking system is used on very rear-heavy cutaway chassis, so in rear heavy applications more rear brake bias is needed. Maybe next time I'm towing I'll trow some rotor temp paint and compare.

Brake bias is controller electronically through the ABS system. The system measure minute differences in wheel speed and adjusts the brake bias accordingly. Much more accurate than a old style proportioning valve. So yes, the Ford vans do have that.
I can't talk for your van or setup, but ABS has absolutely zero effect on brake bias, until the whole unit kicks in. ABS just reads different wheel speed and adjusts brakes accordingly. So until one or two wheels slip / skid / change speed from the other wheels it can't tell any change and will not change the brake bias. The ABS on the van is not changing a thing unless you feel the ABS pulsating through the brake pedal.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #16

Yes, under minor wheel slip, it will reduce rear brake pressure without pulsing the brakes. On older disc brake vans, it would only reduce pressure without actually pulsing.

When you stop, it you feel a faint click in the brake pedal, that's the rear pressure being reduced.