Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #1

Rear differential

Heard some whining noise from the rear end a couple days ago and thought maybe brake issues not to loud and did not last very long.Then I heard it yesterday and crawled under the van and found some slop in the drive shaft. Which leaves me to believe my rear end is going out. So the question is am I right and how much should I expect this will cost me. It’s a 1998 e350 4x4. Pretty typical with a cursed van seems like right before a planned trip something always goes wrong. I guess better now then on the road.

Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #2

Sounds like your pinion bearing is going out. If you get that swapped out now, you can probably avoid trashing the rest of the diff. Still probably looking at 4 hours labor to swap it assuming the shavings didn't get too far into everything else. Axle shafts and carrier have to come out, to pull the pinion to swap the pinion bearing.

FWIW - I drove a good 15,000+ miles after mine god noisy. I don't know if the worn bearing contributed to the pinion shaft shearing off (there was no scoring or other heat damage), but when the pinion gear got sucked into the diff, then push out the bottom of the housing, it wasn't pretty. I did not have much driveline play, so that's why I put it off. Since you have visible driveline slop, yours might be in worse shape.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #3

First post here.It is really hard to give you an answer from my shop to yours but heres a link that might help you narrow down the noise.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/...veline-noises/

Live on the Penninsula my self and have spent 40 years fishing every nick and cranny of the Olympics.
gregsplett is offline   Reply With Quote