Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
I haven’t had an issue with my 2” rear aluminum spacers in over 12 years and 100K miles since installing them, and our rig sees plenty of rocks, dirt and sand from CO, UT, AK, Baja and the roads between....it’s everything else around them that breaks down. Yes, spacers puts added stress on the axles, semi floats especially, but mine held on for a good while before I just put in the FF.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
I have the SF axel in mine. I'm not really worried, even with the SF. My build out over the rear axel is ultra light. I've done everything to shed weight to the minimum. The only thing I couldn't circumvent was the weight of the house batteries so I chose their location carefully.
Al at Colorado Axel and Gear installed the 4.30's in my SF and said he wouldn't worry about it. Most failures he sees are due to over weight and abuse. FWIW

2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #22

Don't want to hijack but I have a pair of aluminum adapters available. PM me an offer and I probably won't refuse it. I did an MG coil conversion and bought a set of four only using two. Lugs (for the spacers) included.
8x165 (Ford van) to 8x170 (Ford super duty truck, same a front axle for a conversion is)

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg View Post
Wheel spacers cause additional stress on axles and bearings. Need to be careful not to exceed derated capacities after spacers are installed.
you are absolutely correct but some front axles are designed for a spacer such as my front axle. It is a 1999 front F350 dually. Unlike the earlier dually's with the factory deep hubs my front came with an adapter, a bolt on extension of the hub which was removable. I have 2" spacers on my front because I wanted more stability in cornering on the road, and I honestly think it has helped tremendously especially since I do not run my sway bar. The other reason was the front axle had 8 on 170 the van is 8 on 6.5 so I converted the front to 8 on 6.5. I am working on either a Currie style torsion sway bar set up but I just may cut and tap the ends of my sway bar and mount links to the axle, but it handles so well I have not gotten around to it.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote