Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #1

Replacement Transfer Flow Rear Tank

I have a 2000 SMB, 7.3l, Quigley conversion with a 52 gallon Transfer Flow Fuel system. The rear tank is very deeply rusted, but not leaking... yet.
I am under the impression that Transfer Flow Inc. does not offer replacement tanks. Has anyone gone about replacing this custom tank? I have researched many tanks online and none seem to match or fit. I may have to order a custom tank from a tank builder, but was wondering if anyone has had any luck with this era tank design. It's tapered at the rear to accommodate deproach angle, which is the biggest obstacle to sizing.
Also, If I chose a smaller tank, with a new sending unit, would it work with the transfer flow electronics and gauges?? Or would that be a can of worms?
Thanks for any input!

tortorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:43 PM   #2

Having been through a Transfer Flow rear tank situation, I would highly recommend talking to Jake at Aerotanks. He can fit at least a 40 gal midship tank and if you really need more capacity, he can likely install a second tank as well. I realize it is a drive from WA, but he can do all the install if you set it up with him. Usually about three to four hours. Have him include an aux pick up with your tank for diesel heater, if needed. Whichever way you decide to go, he knows our vans really well.

Doing anything with TF will cost you unbelievable amounts of money for what you are getting done, if you can get anything done.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:58 PM   #3

Why not just upgrade to a 38 gallon factory Ford rear tank?
Old 08-18-2018, 07:24 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I will check out Aero tanks as an option to build a custom tank. It looks like the one they offer (40gal) is pretty big, would need to cut cross bracing?, and has a filler hole in the wrong spot for my filler neck location.

The Ford factory 38 gallon tank is just as bulky, and I need to have the same departure angle.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #5

The Aerotanks 40 gal replaces the forward tank that was cut down by Quigley. No departure angle needed for that location as it is forward of the rear axle. It also is available with integrated skid plate.

My suggestion is remove the TF rear tank and associated “systems”, remove the Quigley cut down forward tank and replace it with the single 40 ga. Tank that bolts in the forward location. If you still need more capacity, I am pretty sure Aerotanks can add a second tank with a transfer pump behind the rear axle.

The 40 ga uses the stock filler location. Bolt in, no cutting.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #6

Oh, right, DUH! Sorry about that. So I would be eliminating the rear tank and transfer flow system all together. Might be a good plan. Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #7

Plenty of places online sell fuel tanks for custom applications... either off the shelf or full custom build. I’d remove the tank, take measurements, and do some research online. I’m sure you could come close with an off the shelf one, or exact dimensions if you order custom.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Plenty of places online sell fuel tanks for custom applications... either off the shelf or full custom build. I’d remove the tank, take measurements, and do some research online. I’m sure you could come close with an off the shelf one, or exact dimensions if you order custom.
Ha, yeah, easy peasy! Closest I've found is tanks from old Broncos or International Scouts, with a 15-20 gal capacity. Looks like custom is what I'm after, or delete it.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #9

Also a pre-92 e-series rear tank should fit too since frame rails were the same width. I think they were 22 gal.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortorelli View Post
Oh, right, DUH! Sorry about that. So I would be eliminating the rear tank and transfer flow system all together. Might be a good plan. Thanks again.
If you do keep the dual config and TF system, even if you're not going to go to TransferFlow for new tank or work, you can still get excellent responsive tech support via phone for your questions re sending units/compatibility, etc. 'Support for Life" is their motto, and Brad at TF will help you understand what you need to know re compatibility for putting in a new tank, even if it just means understanding your current system/parts better.