Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2018, 02:54 AM   #11

How old are your batteries? Put them on a quality charger until fully charged. Maybe get them tested. Hopefully you haven't cooked them.

The glow plugs draw a tremendous amount of energy out of the batteries. Driving short distances will not replace that draw. Sounds like you've been slowly discharging the batteries without getting much charge back in, leaving them in a lower state of discharge every time you did a driveway run.

The dealer cooked my batteries doing this when I had it in for some warranty issues...driving into the bay, then back out to the lot, back to the bay, back to the lot, etc... Completely dead when I went to pick it up and my batteries never recovered. Of course, it wasn't their fault, though.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #12

I'm not there to hear and see what you are experiencing, so I cant say that you do, or don't, have some sort of issue.

Summer blend Diesel, cold temps, new to the 'rattle-trap 7.3'... I could see someone mistaking a cold morning start as 'running poorly'. As a rule, Diesels don't like cold mornings, the starter and glow plugs both draw a lot of current and batteries don't like cold weather (particularly if you have near-end-of-life batteries) the fuel and oil gets more viscous and harder to crank over, all conspiring to make a cold weather starting just more difficult.

My advice is to get it out on the highway and up to temperature, (it won't warm up while idling in the driveway), before thinking you've got a problem.

If you haven't already, check to see if your 7.3 has been fitted with a Ford block heater. You're looking for a 110 cord threaded through the grill, or stuffed behind it, with the other end leading to the oil filter/oil cooler casting underneath the drivers side.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #13

Garage
Everything everyone has touched on. Gotta take it out and he it up to operating temps. Short drives are really, really hard on the batteries.

Mine sounds like it’s running on 3 cylinders until the oil temps are above a 100 degrees. Even after that I can’t give it a lot of throttle until the tranny temps reach a 100 degrees as well. If I do it just falls on its face. Once it’s warmed up though it’s back to normal.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage
Not saying sticksion is your problem but there's some interesting info here.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #15

My 7.3 likes Rev X anti-stiction additive, particularly in winter. Make less rattling noises
Old 11-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxswasser View Post
I bought an '01 7.3 PSD with 46k miles in California this summer. Have been going through the conversion process myself after driving it to Canada to get a Tufport topper put on. I have about $22k all in right now.

As I have building it, I haven't been driving it much at all - just the occasional trip to Home Depot, but mostly just driving it 50 feet up and down my driveway. It's been a bit slow to turn over recently and today it barely started with outside temps at about 26 degrees. I was about to give up on starting it when it turned over. LOTS of blackish smoke poured out of the exhaust pipe, and it definitely didn't sound great. I had to kill it, and find a different ride. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I had a full inspection done in Reno, and was told the van was solid and in great shape. I failed emissions in Colorado after they found the PCV hose wasn't connected to the intake. I fixed that, and it passed.

Are disgusting clouds of black smoke just the norm for these engines? Do I need to drain the water/fuel separator? I'm literally so disgusted with this van that I'm scared to turn it on.

Thanks for the help y'all.

Max
If you live in COLD country three things ya GOTTA do!!
1. Block Heater
2.TurboMaxx
3. DRIVE IT!!

Damn Diesels,I'll NEVER own another one

Good Luck to Ya
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #17
Orv

Garage
To be honest my experience is if anything's *seriously* wrong at low temps you won't get a start at all, at least not without heroic effort. So you're probably not in too bad of shape. Battery condition is absolutely critical -- not only is the battery powering the glow plugs, there's also a minimum cranking speed below which it just won't make enough compression heat to fire. You may need to put yours on a battery tender when you're not driving the van for long periods.

You should also look into a block heater. I don't have experience with the 7.3 but they can often be retrofitted. They make a HUGE difference -- an hour or so on the heater and the engine'll start like it's July -- and you get interior heat faster too. It's a lot easier on both you and the engine!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:31 PM   #18

Thanks for the input everyone. Seems to be a problem of not driving it enough. It is still not fast to turn over, but it doesn't sound like it's on its last leg anymore. Batteries are two years old. Anyone know how many amps the superduty alternators are?

I'm glad I learned this lesson before it started to get really cold. It barely moves until about five minutes after starting it, but I guess that's the nature of the beast. I will look into anti-stiction, that seems like it may help. Block heaters aren't really viable for me.

Thanks again, maybe next time I won't cry wolf so quickly. I'm sure it was amusing for you all though.
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #19

Garage
Dont believe anyone's mumbling derogatory comments about sharing your dilemma.

This is the only forum i've frequented that maintains a high degree of integrity, and delivers constructive & insightful responses.

Personally this is the first Diesel I've owned, and 2.5 years later I continue to learn valuable info which normally is imbedded in the remarks from the knowledgeable folks that take the time to respond. Fortunately many of these members are very experienced in specific areas and graciously assist in troubleshooting - I'm guessing the appeal of the challenge is a part of the motivation, but mostly the satisfaction they experience knowing they helped another. Too bad much of the population does not embrace this.

Questions like yours help others, so I say keep it coming.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:50 AM   #20
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxswasser View Post
Thanks again, maybe next time I won't cry wolf so quickly. I'm sure it was amusing for you all though.
Max its far, far better to ask questions than guess and end up with something soooooo easily preventable. We've all been there, done that, don't ever be afraid to ask here..........

I don't recall seeing anyone here laughing at another's misfortune---it only takes one time of dealing with one's own trouble to make us humble and a bit more empathetic to vehicle troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Dont believe anyone's mumbling derogatory comments about sharing your dilemma.

This is the only forum i've frequented that maintains a high degree of integrity, and delivers constructive & insightful responses.

Questions like yours help others, so I say keep it coming.
Absolutely true ^^^^ !!!! Even though I have almost nothing in common or of interest to the SMB or 4x4 world I enjoy the information exchange and almost 100% lack of snarkiness or know-it-allness I see on other vehicle-related forums. Those forums where bashing a newbie for being a newbie---oh, how quickly we all forget once upon a time we too were newbies!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote