Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #11

Re: RPM's at Cruising Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
I see a lower gear set in my future. AND, I will be posting pics of the new Gear Vendors overdrive I'm having installed at Gear Vendors in El Cajon. I pick it up today.
Have you posted the pic's? I've been looking at a GV overdrive, but I don't see how I can make it fit my Quigley without modifying my tank.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #12

There's no problem mounting the drive. Nothing will be in the way. The issue for me was the work has not been done to make it work with the V10/5R110 combo in the van. Truck? No problem. The speed sensor is in the rear diff. The van has the speed sensor in the transmission output shaft. Guess all you want. It's not a simple answer. GV couldn't figure it out and removed the already installed drive from my van after 8 days of trying.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #13

Interesting. I wonder if the transfercase on he Diesel is further back. I helped a friend fit one to his Diesel F350, and it didn't seem that there was any reason it wouldn't fit & work on the van (all wiring was the same etc). The only issue I saw was the space between the transfer case and tank is nonexistent on my van and I didn't see how it would fit.
Doesn't surprise me about the electronics though, that's what really put me off their kit, it's like it was designed by a 5 year old with no understanding of electronics, also used really cheap components.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #14

I think it can be worked out. The speed sensor on the van 5R110 has three wires, the truck 5R110 has two. The additional 3rd wire on the van goes to the ECU for the speedometer. But? Start adding conflicting speeds, wheel speed from the ABS: constant, transmission output shaft shaft speed reduces 22% when the OD is engaged. It confuses the transmission/ECU. It will just take someone to figure it out.

With 4.10 gears a GV OD is almost too tall geared. My idea was to lower my gears for better crawling and make up the difference at highway speeds with the OD.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

We drive slow..... but on cruise at about 59mph we are under 2000 rpm. I would say we are at about 1780 like Mike said.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
I think it can be worked out. The speed sensor on the van 5R110 has three wires, the truck 5R110 has two. The additional 3rd wire on the van goes to the ECU for the speedometer. But? Start adding conflicting speeds, wheel speed from the ABS: constant, transmission output shaft shaft speed reduces 22% when the OD is engaged. It confuses the transmission/ECU. It will just take someone to figure it out.

With 4.10 gears a GV OD is almost too tall geared. My idea was to lower my gears for better crawling and make up the difference at highway speeds with the OD.
The connector on the trans you tap into for the GV install is a 18 or 20 pin connector, 6.0 & V10 share the same trans right?

The ratio's on the GV is the one thing I didn't fully understand, if you take the spreadsheet and keep everything the same and just change the diff, you get a lower RPM at any given speed with a 4.10 than you do with 3.73. I've got 4.10 and it worked out to be perfect, something like 1800rpm and 85mph, perfect for the Diesel.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #17

Crap, Sorry confusing your posts. Speed censor on the truck is 2 wire, you are right.