Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #11

Subscribed. Since your tunes were written by DP tuner but you did not do a EGR delete all it's doing is turning the valve off so it won't open correct? Returning it to stock should tell the PCM to look for EGR function. There's a chance your failing the test because the valve is stuck open?

On an SCT it's quite easy to return the strategy to stock but not sure about the DPtuner.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
My cheapo just scrolled through and told me all was good on the readiness. It's super basic.

You mean re-flashed from factory?? Like take it to Ford and have them do it?? Or after you pulled all the fun stuff off and flashed it then?? I would for sure talk to the tuner guys, they might know the trick there and I am sure they have seen this before.

One thing is that if you pay your DMV fee even without the SMOG check, you won't get hit with late fees. You probably won't get pulled over for a month after the sticker expires, but they have to see you and actually care first anyway. Even then just tell them that you had to get it fixed and it finally passed and you are waiting, and just play dump and be respectful. Worst case is a fix it ticket.
Yes we did a factory re-flash this time. So whatever the stock tune was, it's now up to date. Performance Diesel figured I hadn't gone far enough but I must have put in at least 250 miles of various driving. He also mentioned paying the fees but I still have a whole month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I recently went through this with a Toyota Tacoma. Toyota actually has a printed document of what you need to do to get all the monitors and sensors "ready". Some of it was pretty wacky like drive 35mph for 5 miles then come to a stop, then drive 55mph, then come to a stop, idle for 8 mins, gas tank must be between 3/4 and 7/8 full... weird stuff like that. I would try to search to see if Ford ever came out with something like that.
And the shop also mentioned that a few weeks ago when it failed the first time but they don't know the specifics regarding speed/time/temp. It could be I haven't drove at a slower speed for a certain length of time.
I just figured somebody has had to go through this already and knows the procedure. I'm right in the middle of building a shop so it's bad timing for me.
The search goes on.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Subscribed. Since your tunes were written by DP tuner but you did not do a EGR delete all it's doing is turning the valve off so it won't open correct? Returning it to stock should tell the PCM to look for EGR function. There's a chance your failing the test because the valve is stuck open?

On an SCT it's quite easy to return the strategy to stock but not sure about the DPtuner.
All the diagnostics show everything is working correctly, but that did go through my mind. You know that I replaced the EGR over a year ago with a bullet proof version and never ran the EGR in the on position. Maybe I'm wrong but the shop should be able to tell if it's working right?

Old 11-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #14
Site Team

All I can say is, the Land of Enchantment. The only smog testing is in the county where Albuquerque is located.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
All the diagnostics show everything is working correctly, but that did go through my mind. You know that I replaced the EGR over a year ago with a bullet proof version and never ran the EGR in the on position. Maybe I'm wrong but the shop should be able to tell if it's working right?
It should be throwing a code if it's not working but sounds like you already did a diagnostics check. Might want to make sure the dang thing is plugged in. The PCM is looking for EGR function in the stock tune and it should remain plugged in even with a delete as it's required for fan function.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:29 PM   #16

Greetings Dave,

Not sure if this link will help you. It lists different manufacturers drive routines needed. 6.0 fords are a few pages down the list. http://www.s280086112.online.de/Humm...e%20Cycles.pdf

I get a P1000 soft code (drive routine not complete, blah, blah) whenever I've disconnected the batteries etc. The routine to clear it is pretty ridicules IMHO. I've had times I've driven for months and not satisfied it. I also never tried to do drive a certain way to try to clear it because, well, Colorado.

Edit - here is another description of the drive cycle http://www.smogtips.com/smog-questio...ck-Drive-Cycle

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #17

Totally ridiculous. What were Ford engineers smoking?
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
All I can say is, the Land of Enchantment. The only smog testing is in the county where Albuquerque is located.

I only even know what a smog test is from reading here. I'm sure that most residents in my state have no idea either. In some ways 'land of enchantment' is spot on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:48 PM   #19

ShuttlePilot's link around page 18 is probably the way to go. About 3 months ago, after cleaning out a very clogged EGR valve, I just did a smog test in the SF Bay Area on my 6.0. Same situation, no CEL but just gave me a "Not Ready" on my OBD reader. Drove around 200-300 miles and still would not clear. Found a similar suggestion online (sorry, can't find link though) , suggesting: start/stop cycles, maintaining certain ranges of speeds, moderate acceleration. After less than 10 miles on the freeway at a really slowwwww feeling 55 or 60mph, the EGR was now "Ready". Good luck.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #20
Site Team

Garage
Well thanks... that is a great link. Gonna book mark that for sure. I'm headed on the road I guess. Never thought I'd be forced to do an adventure to meet smog.