Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Rude awakening with DP tuner

Damn, I just returned to another failed attempt at California smoging my 6.0. The engine had been bullet proofed a few years back and it's time to re-smog it. I thought all I had to do was to set the tune back to stock and drive it for a while. Well I put over 200 miles on it over the last couple of weeks and today it still showed 1 monitor had not reset. It's the EGR monitor.

Does anybody have any experience with how many miles I'm actually having to drive before the monitor resets?

We did re-flash everything today so the stock tune is up to date with Ford. I hope it solves the problem. My car did the same thing but everything reset after a hundred miles. The mechanic said he's had a few vehicles that took thousands of miles to clear BTW all the codes are clear and everything is functioning properly just the one monitor will not reset.

It looks like I need a tune with the EGR set to on. Unless I can get a straight up answer on how long it takes to reset the thing, or some way to get it done manually within a reasonable time, I may be in trouble. That or I'll be forced to take one hell of a long road trip.

Time is short...thanks for any help.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #2

Any research on Drive Cycle??

I took my 6.8l in for smog and it had three codes not in ready. I had disconnected the battery to do some welding on the floor. Guy told me to drive it 300 miles when it failed. I literally had one day to do it. A quick internet search and I got the drive cycle which includes a bunch of stop and go and acceleration routines and running at certain speeds. Got mine done in 50 miles, checked it with a reader and it showed everything in ready.

Obviously will be different for your diesel, but there may be a routine out there. Maybe check with the tuner folks to see if they have a solution.

Check your gas cap maybe??

Good luck, I sympathize. here's some info

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...not-ready.html
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks I'll check out the link. BTW what reader do you have?

Old 11-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #4

An orange reader. I have no idea the brand, it was cheap. I know some new ones have advanced diagnostics. Mine is pretty basic but it did let me check the readiness and can clear codes.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Move to New Mexico, or sell me your clearly defective SMB for dirt cheap. Those are your only options.

Herb
Old 11-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #6

Dave, I recommend the road trip.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #7

Yeah, get a V-10 because they clear codes quicker as the guzzle gas by the tank full.

EGR might need a heat up and cool down cycle. So hammer around and then shut it down, do that three times or whatever. Pretty sure any basic OBD reader will let you see not ready stuff.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
An orange reader. I have no idea the brand, it was cheap. I know some new ones have advanced diagnostics. Mine is pretty basic but it did let me check the readiness and can clear codes.
Yeah I do have a cheapo one as well but I don't recall seeing the monitor icons. I'll search more. Hell I still have an SCT tuner maybe that will work. I just searched and some of it may have been we should have re-flashed the vehicle after it was turned back to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Move to New Mexico, or sell me your clearly defective SMB for dirt cheap. Those are your only options.

Herb
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Dave, I recommend the road trip.

They said I have to drive for a half hour at a slow speed and to shut and start the vehicle often. I think I know of a dead end street in New Mexico I could drive down to and do the test there...at midnight!

Old 11-30-2016, 05:47 PM   #9

My cheapo just scrolled through and told me all was good on the readiness. It's super basic.

You mean re-flashed from factory?? Like take it to Ford and have them do it?? Or after you pulled all the fun stuff off and flashed it then?? I would for sure talk to the tuner guys, they might know the trick there and I am sure they have seen this before.

One thing is that if you pay your DMV fee even without the SMOG check, you won't get hit with late fees. You probably won't get pulled over for a month after the sticker expires, but they have to see you and actually care first anyway. Even then just tell them that you had to get it fixed and it finally passed and you are waiting, and just play dump and be respectful. Worst case is a fix it ticket.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #10

I recently went through this with a Toyota Tacoma. Toyota actually has a printed document of what you need to do to get all the monitors and sensors "ready". Some of it was pretty wacky like drive 35mph for 5 miles then come to a stop, then drive 55mph, then come to a stop, idle for 8 mins, gas tank must be between 3/4 and 7/8 full... weird stuff like that. I would try to search to see if Ford ever came out with something like that.