Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

Running temps for 6L

Just curious about what "normal" running temps are for this engine and the tranny. 2009 350 with the 6L and the 5110 tranny all with only 22k.

Coolant, oil and tranny. Got a CTS gauge and yeah, it shows me a lot of stuff but not sure where it should be running.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #2

ECT-around 200
EOT-no more than 15 over ect
my tranny runs 145
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #3

A lot of good info in this thread Diesel engine heat management 6.0 - Expedition Portal
Old 02-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #4

It's really going to vary between vans but here goes anyway:

ECT: 200-225F
EOT: 210-230F
TFT: 200-240F (stock cooler)
TFT: 150-180F (Tru-Cool 40k cooler)

It's really a range depending on ambient temperature, hills, type of driving, and what mods you have. I run a FICM tune and a 80HP PCM tune and a stage 1.5 turbo. If your stock, as long as your EOT-ECT spread is less than 15F your golden. Don't get too worried if your ECT is 220-230F. Diesels like to run hot and the vans run hotter than the trucks. My biggest issue was the tranny getting hot. The above portal thread is a good read.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #5

Assuming a stock tune and and coolant thermostat.

Engine Coolant Temp (EOT)
under 180* Engine Map is in various warm up or EGR regimes. Explains why you feel more power and trans shifts at lower RPMs above 180*
Around 212* thermostat thinks about opening.
218* thermostat opens fully.
Fan will cycle noticeably above 216* ish BUT depends of other temps, measured load, and A/C pressures.
Fan will fully engage and not cycle above 226*
These temps seem to vary a little depending on van.

On my van I don't become mindful of hot coolant until I'm seeing sustained ECT above 228*. One thing to be aware of when running hard is that it cools down quickly once over the pass, etc. Hottest I've seen 230* for a few minutes.

Engine Oil Temp (EOT)
should be below or 6-10* above ECT
12*or more above ECT I would start to consider a restricted oil cooler.
Rumor has it that a EOT above 236* will shut the motor down.

Trans Temps
If your trans has a thermostat it will open at 160*. Some 5r110's don't have them. You will get a wide array of what is ideal trans temps and where to measure the temps from. My opinion is sustained I'm comfortable with under 200*. My trans (John Wood) with larger cooler and fan lives most of it's life between 164* and 180*. Highest I've seen with this setup is 192*.

Hope this helps
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #6

That's good beta Shuttlepilot!

Not sure if it's a correction or not since I'm going from faulty memory but I think the engine defuels at an EOT of 242F. Could be wrong there but I'm pretty sure the thermostat doesn't completely open on the 5R110 until 175F.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #7

JoeH I like your temp of EOT 242* before motor shut down better. I hope to never test that out.

One more thing about 6.0s and coolant temps that I try to pass along. Be sure to have a properly working coolant cap. The only way these high "normal" temps don't boil the coolant out is that it's under 16 PSI of pressure. Even worse here in Colorado Springs it's 6000' elev. which means water boils at 200* and when you go through the Eisenhower tunnel at 11,000' water boils at 191* at atmospheric pressure. I have a coolant pressure sensor on my SCT which saved me once with a new Stant cap that would only develop to 4 PSI. I have since used a genuine Motocraft cap with success. There is water less coolants that don't need to be pressurized but that's a different subject. Sorry for the Public Service Announcement, just trying to help fellow 6.0 drivers.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #8

Thanks all. This is good shit. I was thinking of a deeper tranny pan from Mag-Hytech but I would think the Tru-cool would be a better choice for that. My tranny does get a bit on the warm side. Looks like my ECT, EOT and EGT are all within normal ranges.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage
This is an interesting post from a couple of years ago:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-cap-7745.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:11 PM   #10

Ahh these links are exactly what I was looking for. I did a search for "engine oil temps" before and didn't really find anything. Maybe I was too specific. Sounds like my temp readings are well within the range of normal. This being my first diesel ever I was a little alarmed as I was used to 200 degrees max or so with the land cruiser when towing. So this van being 222 or so on flat freeway no towing I thought was high.

I'm going to get a new radiator cap right away too!

Thanks for the replies! We are excited to take her camping soon, but realistically will have to wait until baby is a little bigger so I'll just get myself a to-do list for the winter in the meantime with little improvements I want to make.
ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote