Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: Say Goodbye to Chip Tuning – Open CAN Bus Going Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
......cut.....

A good tuning program shouldn't introduce an excessive fuel charge and have it not burned. That's literally burning money without any benefit, potentially damaging to the engine.

.....cut......
What's a good tune? I'm curious because if they accomplish much without too many compromises it would seem Ford engineers would include them in order to sell more vehicles.

I suppose cost could be a factor but even then they should cost less as mass produced options.
Anything can be made better. The profit margin likely isn't there for the manuf but is for an aftermarket company.
Provided the government allows that to happen. It seems all is being controlled. I just ordered a coolant filter and Sinister's web site shows they can't ship in California due to CARB regulations. I can't even figure that one out.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:02 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Please don't misunderstand my statement below, because I believe you have much more knowledge and experience to contribute to this forum than I ever will.
Balderdash----your contributions here are just as valuable as any other! Opinions, ideas & thoughts all add to most any discussion. I'm sure many of us (mostly me) have been enlightened by others here in ways that we'd never expect. Opinions; share 'em if ya got 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Provided the government allows that to happen. It seems all is being controlled. I just ordered a coolant filter and Sinister's web site shows they can't ship in California due to CARB regulations. I can't even figure that one out.
I hear the federal gov't reviewed CARB and said "Wow---now that's crazy legislation!!" Or "there's no reason for it---its just policy!!"

CARB is an ad hoc set of rules that don't seem to make a lot of sense to those who are impacted or restricted by its existence, I say stating the obvious. California is simply doing what it "thinks" is best for their environment while at the same time seemingly being unaware airborne crap from the world over wafts over their state borders second-by-second. That's probably the most confusing part of it---for me anyway.

I get the reasoning behind it and firmly believe it was enacted in order to reduce pollution from many segments of industry and transportation. California terrain, at least within the more populated areas, tend to be more greatly affected than the wide open spaces of areas outside the state. Good intentions maybe, irrational and confusing actions though---I'm kinda glad I live in a relative less restrictive state.

Re: aftermarket vs OEM Ford, et al are producing vehicles for the mass market so what's available doesn't suit everyone. Going back to the very foundation of automobiles the aftermarket has been a thriving industry---does anyone remember when Fisher Body was NOT part of General Motors? Aftermarket products simply build upon massive engineering, R&D and manufacturing of products meant for the masses, tailoring those products to fit typically small niches of users who need (or imagine they need) something different, the reasons being as varied as the individuals buying them.

It's illogical even thinking the factory should or could build vehicles with more options, many of which would never be sold in enough volume to recoup their development costs. As it happens most USA vehicle manufacturer is doing well enough with their current line-ups so wishing, hoping and ruminating what could be, should be is fun for discussion but nothing more than a fantasy when it comes right down to it. IMHO anyway!

So what was the original topic of this thread anyway?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #23

In Texas we are free to order just about anything short of a nuke.

When it comes to vehicles I think it's all pretty much good as long as it passes inspection. Equipment like coolers that don't affect basic emissions shouldn't be a problem.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
.....cut.....

CARB is an ad hoc set of rules that don't seem to make a lot of sense to those who are impacted or restricted by its existence, I say stating the obvious. California is simply doing what it "thinks" is best for their environment while at the same time seemingly being unaware airborne crap from the world over wafts over their state borders second-by-second. That's probably the most confusing part of it---for me anyway.

.....cut.....
This is very confusing for others too. Particularly with CO2. We spend a lot of our limited resources to do projects like streamlining traffic at an intersection to reduce CO2 by a tiny amount while China and other countries keep building coal power plants at an increasing rate.

On the one hand we want and need to lead, but on the other we have to be careful that we don't bankrupt ourselves and or lose competitive advantage.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #25
Site Team

California loves to implement feel-good laws that don't necessarily make sense, aren't necessarily effective at much of anything, or are even enforceable. But the voters feel better about themselves about 'making a difference', and the politicians think it might help them get re-elected.

Herb
resident of California
Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
California loves to implement feel-good laws that don't necessarily make sense, aren't necessarily effective at much of anything, or are even enforceable. But the voters feel better about themselves about 'making a difference', and the politicians think it might help them get re-elected.

Herb
resident of California
Aren't we so lucky!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote