Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #11

carringb - Are there oil galleries that go out to the wheel bearings?

rocinante - What is/are the failure point/s in the rear axle? Same each time?

Old 10-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #12

Yes, the wheel bearings are lubed by the diff oil. Definitely can contaminate the oil and trash other parts of the diff if things were driven on too long.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Yes, the wheel bearings are lubed by the diff oil. Definitely can contaminate the oil and trash other parts of the diff if things were driven on too long.
Or bearings are destroyed if sufficient oil does not get out to the bearings??
Old 10-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Or bearings are destroyed if sufficient oil does not get out to the bearings??
Possibly. But I think unless you are losing a lot of oil already, it's not likely.

That said... there's been prior semi-float failures on here that were preceded by leaky oil seals.

I personally feel that semi-float axles have no business under a full camper van. I only posted the part numbers in case that might get them on the road quicker. Certainly should not be a permanent fix (I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be, but it would still be a matter of doing a swap before they fail again).
Old 10-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #15

Thanks for the continued thoughts.

I reached out to Agile, but haven't heard anything from my email.

1der -- the failure point this time and the last time is the bearings fail, the axle shaft starts to wear at the point of contact between the bearings and axle, leaving us with a pitted and grooved axle shaft. We don't know if the bearings fail first, or if something in the way the weight is distributed pushes the shaft onto the axles in a strange way. We've noticed the failure by hearing a slight "whooomp whoomp" on highway speeds above 30mph -- it's such a quiet noise that three mechanics missed it and told us to relax and keep going, but we full-time in this car so we're very attuned to the sounds it should make. We finally took it in when the seal on one side started to leak. Now there's almost an inch of play in the wheel.

It's scary because there aren't really any symptoms -- if we drove with the radio on or thought the sound was tire noise we could've kept going until a wheel flew off.

carringb -- thank's for the note about Napa. They do have the parts in stock, but they are 2x the price as any other supplier. We're going to hold off on that unless we have to, because we can probably get the FF swap done right for that price + shipping.

If we were to source a Dana 70 from a E350 ambulance or similar, what would the lug pattern be? I haven't found much about it, but it looks like it's still 8x6.5. That would mean we'd need to keep our adapters, but that would be a pretty hefty rear stance if the axle was already wider than the dana 60.

Our mechanic has been pushing us to just replace the bearings, filter out the oil, and just drive really slowly the 700 miles to the US border where we can do the axle swap with more options. If we can get across the state line to Baja California from Baja California Sur our insurance will put the van on a flatbed to Ensenada if something happens.

Regardless of what we chose, there is an axle swap in our future. If we go with a Sterling 10.5 does anyone have any recommendations for new spring perches? We have new contacts who can potentially bring us small parts.
rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #16

Correct. All E-series are 8x6.5 and yes, it is 5" wider than the van axles.

I would source the perches and shock mounts from U-joint. Sure, you could make something cheaper work, but his parts are known to fit up correctly. Their part #: SA001 includes spring perches, shock mounts, and the hard & soft brake lines. The have new u-bolts too. Maybe if you PM Chris directly on this forum, he can make sure you get help ASAP.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocinante View Post
If we go with a Sterling 10.5 does anyone have any recommendations for new spring perches? We have new contacts who can potentially bring us small parts.
These worked for my swap. I did have to drill out the center hole a bit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072J93GY7
I would think just about any perches 3” wide and for a 3.5” diameter tube would work.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #18
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocinante View Post
Our mechanic has been pushing us to just replace the bearings, filter out the oil, and just drive really slowly the 700 miles to the US border where we can do the axle swap with more options. If we can get across the state line to Baja California from Baja California Sur our insurance will put the van on a flatbed to Ensenada if something happens.

There's some wisdom there, especially if you can monitor the situation in case it begins to deteriorate again. I get the feeling the closer to the border you can get it the better your options will be.