Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #1

Slight hesitation on acceleration 99 5.4

So it seems I have a slight hesitation when I accelerate quckely from a stop. I've had this for a while now. In these heavy rains we've been having I've been going through insanely deep water and now noticing what feels like stumbling. I think I should get the plugs done since they are oem and my van is a 99. I just passed 60k and I have the gas v8. Any OC mechanics you suggest for this job? Should I just take it to the dealer because of how tricky the plugs can be to RR. Anyone recommend a dealer in oc? I'm in Costa Mesa so my closest one is Theodore Robbins. Additionally I an not throwing any codes. Getting about 11 mpg. Lifted on 33 with 4.10
Thanks!

DerPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you have a way to scan for any codes?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Do you have a way to scan for any codes?
Yes, I have the scangague plugged in all the time. No codes thus far
Old 01-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

Pretty sure coils will get funky and do this without throwing a code. Going through the same thing with my 03 5.4l expedition. It threw codes on #8, changed it out and am getting a slight hesitation off the line when I use a lot of pedal. Probably more of the original coils are starting to go. Good thing I bought the 8 pack.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #5

Interesting. Is this a big deal? Can a regular Ford mechanic tackle this or should I search out an expert.
1997 Jeep Wrangler Lifted / Locked
1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500
Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerPo View Post
So it seems I have a slight hesitation when I accelerate quckely from a stop. I've had this for a while now. In these heavy rains we've been having I've been going through insanely deep water and now noticing what feels like stumbling. I think I should get the plugs done since they are oem and my van is a 99. I just passed 60k and I have the gas v8. Any OC mechanics you suggest for this job? Should I just take it to the dealer because of how tricky the plugs can be to RR. Anyone recommend a dealer in oc? I'm in Costa Mesa so my closest one is Theodore Robbins. Additionally I an not throwing any codes. Getting about 11 mpg. Lifted on 33 with 4.10
Thanks!
If you can convince him to work on your van (now that you've lifted/modified it, he might grumpily refuse) --- there's a repair place over in your Costa Mesa 'hood named "Jack's Fords Only" and that guy REALLY knows Fords of all kinds. Might be a good resource.

As almost anyone that has had to maintain an older vehicle knows, there's a ton of things that can cause a combination of hesitation and stumbling. The usual suspects are always checked out first: plugs/coils, wires, plugged fuel filter, dirty throttle body, etc....

But then there's the less-often-discussed items:

1) Failing electric fuel pump (it's located in the gas tank on the Econolines)

2) Bad O2 sensors (I think I've read that they are supposed to only last around 60,000 miles, according to BOSCH)

3) Bad Throttle-position sensor (TPS)

4) Bad MAF or MAP sensor on the throttle body intake

5) Bad EGR control circuit components --- look into both the EGR valve itself, and, critically, the "DPFE Sensor" that regulates your Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve.

Eventually a *really bad* case of stumbling/missing was cured in my van by replacing the DPFE sensor. It's the device that detects vacuum levels in the EGR circuits and then tells the engine computer how much to open/close the EGR valve for different points in the idle/acceleration cycle. They used to do this with a simple EGR sensor that was actually attached directly to the EGR valve, but the DPFE-type sensors do their "sensing" via a pair of remote vacuum lines. They're apparently more accurate than a simple mechanical position sensor like the original EGR valve sensors were.

Mine's a '95, and was one of the first generations of vans that got DPFE sensors instead of the old-style EGR sensors. And those first DPFE sensors are notorious for going bad. Not sure if your '99 is new enough to have an updated (plastic body) DPFE sensor....but the old and sketchy ones are metal bodied. Not super pricey to get an OEM Ford Motorcraft updated DPFE sensor.

Just more food for thought.
Not many shops will suggest the DPFE sensor right away.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

Pretty much any mechanic can do plugs and coils. Just some years have trouble with the thin heads and busting plugs on removal. Replacing them is easy when you can get to them.