Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #1

So... engine noise and all this plug and manifold talk - V10

So, I am taking off after just starting the van and it has a noise that appears to be similar to an exhaust leak (Ticking and rpm consistent) and then goes away after a few miles. Almost like it is a lifter and gets the required oil and goes away...

With everyone talking exhaust manifold issues and spark plugs popping, I feel like I am driving this thing like I am sitting on a hand grenade!

The thing runs stellar and is pretty darn zippy considering the age of this thing and the weight it has to carry. I have been super happy with the purchase, but just wanna get the opinion of the masses.

Again, slight ticking at take off and then goes away after maybe even a mile or so under load. Then, the rest of the way, it revs and spools up like normal and sounds great!

Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #2

Garage
Re: So... engine noise and all this plug and manifold talk -

I would take the dog house off and use a mechanics stethoscope to determine where the sound is coming from. You should be able to determine fairly quickly if a lifter is sticking.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Me.../dp/B0002SQYSM
Old 12-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #3

I had that happen. Tick that was worse when cold, and went away with load. But mine never completely went away.

It did turn out to be a couple loose plugs. I must not have torqued them down enough when I put them in. They didn't make any noise until after some extended operation above 5,000 RPM.

I drove that way for a couple thousand miles. I finally checked my plugs after checking everything else. It was the rear two plugs were loose. I snugged them back down, and they haven't moved since. That was about 50,000 miles ago (and yes, I did recently check just to be sure).

In your case, I would suspect a lifter. Are you using 5w20 or 5w30 oil? Using heavier oil isn't good for the V10.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I had that happen. Tick that was worse when cold, and went away with load. But mine never completely went away.

It did turn out to be a couple loose plugs. I must not have torqued them down enough when I put them in. They didn't make any noise until after some extended operation above 5,000 RPM.

I drove that way for a couple thousand miles. I finally checked my plugs after checking everything else. It was the rear two plugs were loose. I snugged them back down, and they haven't moved since. That was about 50,000 miles ago (and yes, I did recently check just to be sure).

In your case, I would suspect a lifter. Are you using 5w20 or 5w30 oil? Using heavier oil isn't good for the V10.
Honestly, not sure as the dealership (Ford dealer) changed the oil when they took the van in on trade. I was going to do it again here this week so I knew exactly what and when.

Now, do you guys suggest synthetic? Actually have an Infiniti that suggests to avoid synthetic and it is working great!! It's strange, but it is working and I am shocked they actually avoid it.

So, in an old bird with 95k miles, do you think standard oil or synthetic?
Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #5

The V10 used to be specified with 5w30, Ford changed a bunch of engines to lower viscocity to help their CAFE numbers, Ford's FAQ says it produced a 0.6% mileage improvement. I think either weight is fine, I've used both.

http://www.ints.com/support/documents/F ... toroil.pdf

5w20 is harder to find but if I can find it, I use it.

Here is my rule of thumb, on a new engine I use Dino oil and change frequently. If it is higher mileage or will be subject to ambient temperature extremes, I use synthetic.

There are more opinions on synthetic oil than there are on religion.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #6

It could be a simple exhaust manifold leak, with the heat expanding the metal and sealing the leak. If it was simply a lifter getting oil, that would only take a couple of seconds.

You need to take the doghouse off and isolate the source of the ticking to know.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #7

I will only run synthetic in the van. I have seen what happens when conventional oil suffers from thermal breakdown (Turns out 15w40 synthetic isn't super common in Germany). It wasn't pretty. And while it was in a race engine, temps never got close to what the V10 sees when I'm pulling 15,000 pounds up a 7% grade in 100+ degree weather.