Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #1

springs

I just purchased an 06 SMB 30k miles. The front springs look like they have a little bit of negative arch and maybe 2" from bump stop max. The Van sits very level. Is this normal? Am I going to take a beating off road?

finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #2

Re: springs

That's normal. You are in for a beating, especially on washboard. It will bring a new meaning to the word rattle. The vans do not ride like a pick up truck. The older F-Series pick ups are the same as you see under your SMB with the negative arch.

Think of it as lots for room for improvement! It won't be that bad. It's a camper, not a pre-runner.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #3

Search Deaver. Big improvement to be had.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #4

Try it offroad and see what you think.
Maybe I am just used to it but it is not that bad in my opinion. In time I will likely get the Deavers but that is more because the rear is sagging.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #5

Deaver Springs Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
That's normal. You are in for a beating, especially on washboard. It will bring a new meaning to the word rattle. ...
Airing down is your friend.

-- Geoff
Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #6

My biggest problem with the springs was hitting something, like a railroad crossing that wasn't smooth, or an unexpected bit of road damage in a dirt road, at speed... say upwards of 25 mph (though I never really tested) which I've encountered on everything from highways to dirt roads that seemed otherwise intact.

The impact was translated into a bone jarring (and for me disk smashing) event... Up -- down -- BANG! Translated through those bumpstops, frame, seat etc to the first thing that really gave way, my disks.

Back problems aside, it was so bad that months later we still both cringe when we hit similar bumps even with the Deavers- the front goes up, and as the front comes down and we both take white knuckle grips on whatever is handy, and ... nothing. And we always look at each other and go... "the Deavers were worth it."
Old 04-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
My biggest problem with the springs was hitting something, [...] say upwards of 25 mph [...]

[...] "the Deavers were worth it."
Wow! Yeah... I seem to block out those memories -- but yes, that is one of the huge disadvantages of the short front suspension travel. I've driven for hours on a mostly flat dirt track covered in snow at <15 MPH because whenever I tried creeping up faster than that I'd hit a little washout hidden under the snow and ker-BAM! my head hits the roof and everything goes flying. And my wife becomes quite displeased.

Keeping your eyes peeled for road imperfections and occasionally slamming on the brakes just before hitting them seems to be the norm for backcountry Sportsmobile driving.

-- Geoff
Old 04-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #8

Thanks for all the info I have only had the thing for a week and unfortunately it has not left the driveway. Hopefully i will get to the desert this weekend.

Has anyone tried the air charged bump stops they use on off road race vehicles? I don't know if it would help with such minimal up travel.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote