Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #1

Starting issue 1997 V10...

So, I have a remote starter setup on my 97 V10. I click the button and hear the motor try (VERY quick try) and see sparks fall in the front of the van onto the ground. Dark orange in color and slowly fall to ground. Not like a grinding wheel type speed...

Rewind a few days ago the last time I used the van and when I started it, it was VERY slow to turn over, but fired. Acted like the battery was low. However, the battery is showing full juice and none of the lights dim, etc.

Back to this morning, I go inside the van and try to start with the key. Service Engine Soon light is on and the ignition does not turn anything over. No click, click like a selenoid and all I get is a low toned clunk seemingly from the passenger side in the engine compartment. Seemingly the battery area.

The lights inside, radio, dash, etc all stay bright even when trying to turn over.

Is this a starter? The starter is obviously in the front and if going bad, might have thrown sparks??

Just trying to see if anyone has had this happen. I doubt I would normally have ever seen the sparks had I not had the remote starter and it was early morning (dark). I need this thing on the road today or early tomorrow. Anyone have similar issues?

Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #2

Re: Starting issue 1997 V10...

It most likely has nothing to do with your remote. It sounds like your starter is gone. You probably aren't going to be moving without a tow unless you fix it where it is. Start by checking the wiring to your battery and alternator, and if you can climb underneath you can look at the wiring at your starter. You could have a bad connection and still get dash lights. They aren't expensive to replace but not easy to get to either unless you are used to crawling underneath vehicles.

Good luck
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #3

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Check your ground to the battery and chassis.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #4

You probably saw the braided fusible link between the solenoid and starter burn up. Inspect that first. If its still intact, then the starter is probably bad. Any parts store can test it. You may need to replace the fender mounted relay too as it was may have been overloaded when this occurred.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #5

Was the starter. Replaced and she fired right up!! Really easy to replace also which was refreshing!
Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote