Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #21

There are no tightly guarded secrets or magic available through Ford dealer network service centers. I have always been happier with quality independent service centers.

campingunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #22

i may be out of line..........

.......but I don't use ANY dealer for ANY repairs for a couple of decades now.

They couldn't even troubleshoot correctly and even admitted it to me!

Repairs that are beyond my abilities (and I've been a gearhead since my teens) I take to shops with great reviews, even if I have to go several cities away.

I'll second that JB Weld or epoxy. I've used epoxy many times with great results.

Good luck.
newoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:56 PM   #23

OK, so what is the pragmatic/(mostly right) solution for an installed metal part that's sort of expensive to replace, but it seeping oil?

I wouldn't be above taking a tig torch to it, after trying to drain it, and giving it a good cleaning, but I'd also be less than certain of the outcome.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #24

Update:

I contacted Red Head, they received the steering box and confirmed there was indeed a crack and it was leaking when they tested it. He stated this was very unusual as they test everything before they send it out. They have given me a full refund for the purchase.

I asked him if there was any possibility of recovering any other costs since I was out money for the install/uninstalling/diagnosing and then mailing the part back. He said he couldn't promise anything since their policy doesn't cover that but to send him all the invoices and postage receipts and he would send them up the chain for them to make that decision.

I have copy of the invoices and will send it to RH, will update back when I get a response. While my van is back up and running, I still preferred the RD box despite it leaking. The steering feels a bit looser/sloppy compared the tighter/firm RH box.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #25

I know it doesn't change the current situation, but I'm just throwing it out there... what are the odds that the Redhead box got dropped by the installer? ...Of course, they'd never admit to it.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Update:

I contacted Red Head, they received the steering box and confirmed there was indeed a crack and it was leaking when they tested it. He stated this was very unusual as they test everything before they send it out. They have given me a full refund for the purchase.

I asked him if there was any possibility of recovering any other costs since I was out money for the install/uninstalling/diagnosing and then mailing the part back. He said he couldn't promise anything since their policy doesn't cover that but to send him all the invoices and postage receipts and he would send them up the chain for them to make that decision.

I have copy of the invoices and will send it to RH, will update back when I get a response. While my van is back up and running, I still preferred the RD box despite it leaking. The steering feels a bit looser/sloppy compared the tighter/firm RH box.

Thanks for updating this.

Since you preferred the feeling of the RH box, maybe get them to cut you a steep discount instead of trying to get them to reimburse the labor? Of course, you would then have to pay again to swap the steering boxes, but at least you'd have the better performing steering box.

Herb
Old 03-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #27

I was thinking about the same thing Herb, I'm just trying to justify spending even more money replacing a perfectly good part (for now) for another brand new part vs putting funds into other parts of this build. If they say they will only cover shipping ($50) I will ask for a discount with no expiry so when this does crap out on me I can change it or perhaps pass on the savings to someone else. I definitely won't do it if I have to do postage again, if I drive down there for other work or to see other up fitters than yes that is more attractive.

I don't think the installer dropped it, RH does a really nice paint job on the box and when I inspected it there were no obvious marks that it was dropped unless they painted over the crack with the same gloss black finish. If they did, I would think RH would have cried foul when they inspected it?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #28

I'm glad to hear you got your money back. Redhead says they test everything before shipping, but based on the number of folks here and on Expo that have had issues lately, (a very small sample size verses the large number of units they sell) I have to question their quality control. It's unlikely that crack was caused by dropping, they are just too solid. I suspect it happened during the re manufacturing process, perhaps by pressing in a bearing with too tight a fit, or a misaligned one? I'm still readjusting mine but have been sidelined by other more pressing maintenance issues.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Update:

That's great news! (I'm glad I was wrong about the dealership, they really did you right)

Too bad you had to go through all that drama, pay labor to R&R two steering boxes, but that's the way repairs go sometimes.

That's bad news about Redhead... My guess is they don't pressurize the boxes when they test them. I checked their site and warranty is 12mos and doesn't cover labor. I certainly would ask RH for the difference in labor cost between R&Ring 1 box versus the second time around, and shipping.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #30

I sent them all the invoices regarding the R&R including the cost of return postage. They replied back to me the other day confirm receipt of the documents. They are currently reviewing and will get back to me.

I've confirmed the transaction has been refunded on my credit card, now I get to do some more paperwork to see if I can get the duties I paid during import refunded to me (98$ CDN).