Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #31

Final Update:

So got word back from RH. They will be reimbursing me $200 (I think CDN?) for postage and some of the labour costs (1 hour worth). While this doesn't cover everything and the hassle I went through I think this is somewhere in the middle of a positive and negative experience. I did not ask for a number, I did not haggle. I gave them the invoices and this is the number they gave back to me which I accepted. I'm debating about asking for a discount on a future purchase.

Thank you to everyone who assisted me with their feedback, hopefully this can give you some perspective in helping you choose if you want a RH Steering Box. Based on my above experience I would still buy one again, but only if I was in the area and I'd be damn sure there wasn't any issues before putting a lot of distance between my van and the shop.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #32
Site Team

Cyrull, I very much appreciate that you provided not only your less than positive experience, but also the resolution. Too many people will ask questions, post problems, and never post the final outcome.

Herb
Old 03-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #33

Nice to hear you got some restitution. Despite my less than perfect experience with them, Ido think they have a better product than the typical parts store brands.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:41 PM   #34

Garage
x2 on getting back to us cyrull. was following this prior, but once it slipped past the front page I had forgot about it...popular forum problems, lol.

artic, any updates on your situation with the redhead box?

suddenly, I’m in the market. currently puking blood everywhere. have been advised to replace pump (if shiney crap is visible inside reservoir) and gearbox together. other wise I’ll be playing this game soon again.

have been reading all I can about redhead and other than one thread on expo, this thread is the only other one Ive seen with anything negative. and the negative in this thread isn’t all that bad imho.

would also entertain any positive input on power steering pumps as well.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:34 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
artic, any updates on your situation with the redhead box?

I still think the Redhead is a better built box than what you get at the local auto parts store. The one I got at Autozone only lasted about 18 months. Granted they gave me a full refund, but I'd rather have had a better one. Despite the Redhead needing adjustment to loosen it up from new, and then a year later another slight adjustment to tighten it up a bit (less than how much I loosened it in the first place) it's still working fine with no real play. I think that one just slipped past the QC guy and once it finally wears out, I'll try another one.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:19 PM   #36

Garage
^^^ tyvm! appreciate the detailed feedback. was wondering about the adjustments you made. I think if mines a little on the stiff side at first I’ll leave it be and let it wear in, unless it’s just unbearable of course. just need to get a spline count and get one ordered. if I play my cards right I can get the interns at the college I work at do the install for me

ive been using a used reman that I had to buy in a pinch a few years ago. i very much look forward to less slop in my steering.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 11-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I still think the Redhead is a better built box than what you get at the local auto parts store. The one I got at Autozone only lasted about 18 months. Granted they gave me a full refund, but I'd rather have had a better one. Despite the Redhead needing adjustment to loosen it up from new, and then a year later another slight adjustment to tighten it up a bit (less than how much I loosened it in the first place) it's still working fine with no real play. I think that one just slipped past the QC guy and once it finally wears out, I'll try another one.

This is somewhat of a repeat in this thread, but my two from Redhead on two vans: 1st over 100k and no changes, second is only at 50k. I'm local to them an the second one they loosened very slightly if memory serves me correctly. ...straight up manufacturing company and really helpful. I got to go with the tech who bench ran my second box and got into some details about how they test and design to get tighter tolerances and better load bearing....its been several years, and things change over time, but I would not even consider a big box store chinese reman as long as Redhead is still going. My Oreillys reman on the first van lasted about a year before slop set in.....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #38

Even though I only had it for about a week I still like the RH box better. Like shernie I was in a pinch and went with a Ford reman. Also, I did ask about a discount on a future purchase, they never responded to me.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #39

Garage
was able to get the spline count and got the redhead box ordered today. even scored a discount through the school! really looking forward to getting it installed. now I just gotta decide on a replacement pump. not as many options for a new pump as I would have thought.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #40

Hi guys
if I can borrow this post for a sec since you all are talking steering. Not getting much help anywhere else.

Need some advice. I have a e350 7.3 2003 lifted and converted to 4x4 running 33's sportsmobile. I can't turn the wheels unless its moving. Seems the first thing to replace is the steering pump. Open to any other suggestions though. If I am replacing the pump is an upgrade worth it. Surprisingly the oem pump is not crazy expensive. I have spoke with another owner of a identical van and he has no steering issues with an oem. Should I just go with this or since I am doing the job get something with more power.?

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/st...ring-7880061-1

thanks
surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote