Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #1

Garage
still torn between diesel or gas for used purchase

Yes, I have done a bunch of searching on the topic but I have a couple more ?'s for y'all.

So far in my search for a 4x4 RB/EB 50 I have come across V10's w/ relatively low miles( under 35k) or diesels w/ higher mileage(50-60k+) with usually a higher price tag(5-10k more usually). My budget is trying to keep things under 50-55k and the van will be probably driven @12k per yr. I have done the basic fuel cost calculations and at least here out west, with the gas price is dropping every day (currently 2.86-2.90) and diesel still @ the $3.00 mark it would take a while for me to recoup the initial upcharge of the diesel, about 6+ yrs.

I know the diesel will go the long haul, but especially w/ the 6.0 I could also see some large/costly repair bills in my future (turbos etc...) along w/ higher routine costs(oil/filter changes etc...). The V10 for the most part seems to be pretty darn bullet proof.
I will not be towing and a good chunk of the miles will be highway, so minimal wear/tear, mostly want to have a relatively trouble-free long term vehicle. Is/would the V10 be a reasonable way to go? Any of you current 6.0 owners wished you went for V10 or vice versa? What about the 7.3 owners?

And lastly - what kind of real-world mileage are you guys seeing on say the newer V10's and 6.0 w/ 4x4 (2004 and newer)?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #2

2005 4x4 EB w/RB 50 PH and an empty car trailer. With the 6.0L diesel I'm getting 11.68. That's crusing around 75mph with the AC. If I stop being lead footed I seem to get high twelves.

I drove a gas '07 EB, 2WD and unconverted (empty to the point of not having seat fabric) and my impression was that it was way quieter and punchy as heck. I don't know if the punchy was all empty or partly the gas vs diesel.

I loved my 7.3L in the F250, and I still believe it's more bomb proof than the 6.0L, but I'm a guy who daydreams of putting a diesel in the Jeep Wrangler, so I might be a little biased.

From what you wrote I'd go with the V10 if I were you. Betting on gas prices these days seems like a bad idea, especially to recoup for a diesel which might not be your first choice anyway.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I loved my 7.3L in the F250, and I still believe it's more bomb proof than the 6.0L, but I'm a guy who daydreams of putting a diesel in the Jeep Wrangler, so I might be a little biased.
Jage,

Not quite what you're looking for, but check this out.

http://www.santabarbara4wdclub.com/marklink.html

Herb
Old 07-28-2007, 06:52 PM   #4

I thought AEV used to have a CRD jobbie they'd put in the TJ's, but find no evidence of it now...
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Site Team

I thought I had heard that the Jeep (Daimler?) CRD disappeared for a while. You at least used to be able to get it from the factory in the Liberty.

Herb
Old 07-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #6

Garage
and your feedback on my original topic is....???
Old 07-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #7

Re: still torn between diesel or gas for used purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825
Yes, I have done a bunch of searching on the topic but I have a couple more ?'s for y'all.

So far in my search for a 4x4 RB/EB 50 I have come across V10's w/ relatively low miles( under 35k) or diesels w/ higher mileage(50-60k+) with usually a higher price tag(5-10k more usually). My budget is trying to keep things under 50-55k and the van will be probably driven @12k per yr. I have done the basic fuel cost calculations and at least here out west, with the gas price is dropping every day (currently 2.86-2.90) and diesel still @ the $3.00 mark it would take a while for me to recoup the initial upcharge of the diesel, about 6+ yrs.

I know the diesel will go the long haul, but especially w/ the 6.0 I could also see some large/costly repair bills in my future (turbos etc...) along w/ higher routine costs(oil/filter changes etc...). The V10 for the most part seems to be pretty darn bullet proof.
I will not be towing and a good chunk of the miles will be highway, so minimal wear/tear, mostly want to have a relatively trouble-free long term vehicle. Is/would the V10 be a reasonable way to go? Any of you current 6.0 owners wished you went for V10 or vice versa? What about the 7.3 owners?

And lastly - what kind of real-world mileage are you guys seeing on say the newer V10's and 6.0 w/ 4x4 (2004 and newer)?

Thanks
Quote:
2005 4x4 EB w/RB 50 PH and an empty car trailer. With the 6.0L diesel I'm getting 11.68. That's crusing around 75mph with the AC. If I stop being lead footed I seem to get high twelves.
My 06 EB51 SMB4X4 with the 6.0PSD consistently gets 16-17mpg on the highway (16,000 miles thus far, most between LA and Mammoth). I cruise at 62-65mph with AC. I've probably tested mileage a dozen times and use GPS, not the odometer, in case my calibration is off in the SMB. When I tow, it drops down to 12-13mpg. The gas vs. diesel discussion seems to never end. I tow occasionally and like the torque of the PSD. For others, the v10 may be a better choice. Good luck.
R
Old 07-30-2007, 08:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825
and your feedback on my original topic is....???
Sorry about that, I should probably throw my two cents in then,

I've had the van a little over a week but it's already gone 1k miles and has seen 3 golf trips and limo service to two parties.

Loaded up with 9 people and a wheelchair (I have a custom layout) I can heartily say that I can't imagine getting by without the torque of the diesel.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #9

Someone needs to update their sig...

When I stomp the gas in my 6.0L the van goes but even empty I don't feel like I could break traction on a wet road... it kind of feels like driving out of oatmeal. I don't know if that's the diesel or a by product of the tranny having a torque convertor made to not break anything, but it was suprising. I actually get better pickup when I accelerate normally than when I floor it.