Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
You might want to try a higher end reader or go back to Ford and ask to look it over again. Maybe they re-flashed on your last visit? No mechanic here, but the fact you were at the dealership throws a red flag. The sound does too plus you said the temps are running a bit high? Fan clutch failure??? Turbo hose issue???

Not related to your problem but my van would completely shut down or cut out (harness issue) and re-start while driving but the scan gauge didn't pick up the code and no CEL. A better reader (shop computer program) did see some issues but never pointed to the true problem. I thought it was a fuel issue but was wrong. Hopefully it's something simple.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #12

Best advice I got about a 6.0 is to drive it like you stole it.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
You might want to try a higher end reader or go back to Ford and ask to look it over again. Maybe they re-flashed on your last visit? No mechanic here, but the fact you were at the dealership throws a red flag. The sound does too plus you said the temps are running a bit high? Fan clutch failure??? Turbo hose issue???

Not related to your problem but my van would completely shut down or cut out (harness issue) and re-start while driving but the scan gauge didn't pick up the code and no CEL. A better reader (shop computer program) did see some issues but never pointed to the true problem. I thought it was a fuel issue but was wrong. Hopefully it's something simple.

Good Morning daveb!

I might get a higher end reader on down the road a piece.

I had the 40,000 mile service at the dealer at a little over 39000 miles back in mid-March, but this issue did not start until about 3, maybe 4 weeks ago. And it only happens on this very short, steep hill, and had this hill been on a highway where I had no intention of taking my foot off the gas, it might well have not happened at all. When having this last service at Ford, I had the diesel works fuel saver package, rotated the tires, changed the oil and filter and had the inspection, and changed both fuel filters. Had the power steering flush and service, plus the coolant and brake flush. Jason, the diesel tech I met when I bought the vehicle about two years ago does the work for me when I go in. I'm really glad that I met him and I have a lot of faith in putting my van in his care. You bring up a good point about taking it back, though, and having this situation checked out. What does re-flash mean, Dave?

On the temps: Here is an example of driving up the hill with the coolant and oil temps at 200, they might rise about 12, maybe 14 degrees, and then start cooling back down. I'm thinking that is normal, though, what do you think? The hill is only a quarter mile long.

I can make note about the fan clutch failure and the turbo hose issue and relay that to Jason as well. Knowing delearships like I do though, I'll probably still be out of pocket around a 100+ for a diagnostics/shop fee, though. That's the downside, at this point in time!
James4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #14

Ford serviced vehicles under warranty will get reprogrammed or flashed as they see fit. Basically they tweak how the engine runs etc. This could explain the fan thing coming on where you didn't before. Ask the tech, he will know.

Did it start doing it on hot days??
Old 08-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Best advice I got about a 6.0 is to drive it like you stole it.

Hi Flux!

Driving it like I stole it brings back memories of when I was scorching 327 Chevies with my HyPo 289 down in Orange County back in 65-68ish!!! Somehow, I simply cannot bring myself to drive it like that!!! At 74 yoa, I'll have to back off quite a bit, but I might tap it every now and then.

On the comment you made about driving through the issue by giving it more gas. I'm going to try that the next time it happens. I have also been scouring the Internet for comments about other people who have experienced this problem, and I'm thinking that your-fix is similar to some other comments that I have read. There seems to be a lot of them that have the fan-like whine while towing up grades.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Ford serviced vehicles under warranty will get reprogrammed or flashed as they see fit. Basically they tweak how the engine runs etc. This could explain the fan thing coming on where you didn't before. Ask the tech, he will know.

Did it start doing it on hot days??
I doubt that they will do that for me, Flux, since I'm the second owner and the vehicle is a 2008, but I'll ask Jason when I see him, thanks!

The temperature during most of this time was around 75-78 degrees, but the last couple of times it happened it was between 80 and 90.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #17
Site Team

Garage
Temps sound normal but the values between the EOT and ECT should be about 15 degrees within each other @ full operating temps on a flat run. I take it you don't run a tuner.
The fan is noisy but shouldn't produce a high pitch whine... at least mine doesn't. And I don't see the fan causing a big loss in engine power. I just found this and it sounds similar to your problem?

Went into "limp mode" under load. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:39 PM   #18

Hi daveb!

My ECT & EOT are all good. I took the hill again day before yesterday at about 40 mph and all was well, however, I was in front of the traffic and my rpm's was somewhat under 3000, which was higher than usual due to not being impeded by traffic.

No, I do not run a tuner.

I don't know when I'll be getting back to the dealership to have it checked out, but it should be within the next three weeks. I believe that it's going to be okay...at least I'm hoping so!

James