Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 12:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
If it the torque converter, pull the dipstick out and inspect the fluid for smell and discoloration.
If the fluid looks shot, dont drive any more and replace that before it takes out the transmission.

Did you take the time to do this since the problem started?

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Did you take the time to do this since the problem started?
Sorry for the delay here, van has been sitting for a week. I checked the trans fluid and it still had a good pink clear color to it. Not much of a smell. Though like I said it was replaced recently.

I then went for a drive on a local grade and checked afterwards. I wouldn’t say it smelled burnt, but definitely had a more distinct smell.

I also noticed this time around that once I pulled over to make some notes the van continued to shutter, and as I pulled away seemed to have a jumpy feel to it. Would this point to the torque converter? Any other ways to test?
Wire89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #23

Replace fuel filter yet? Still sounds similar to my clogged fuel filter. Cheap and easy to do.
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
In the vans, Boost is controlled by the amount of fuel injected, and measured by the map sensor. From my understanding, if over 22 PSI of manifold pressure is detected, it will cut fueling way back to slow down the turbo.
My boost gets nowhere near 22, not even close to 17 psi. The highest I’ve seen it since connecting the scan gauge is 13.6, usually floats between 11 and 12 at higher rpm accelerations.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:57 AM   #25

Another possible culprit could be the wiring harness clip under the passenger side valve cover. This $2 part gets brittle and breaks and the connection backs out causing sporadic engine hesitation and shuddering. I initially had a loss of power and engine vibration that was sporadic. It eventually got much worse.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark View Post
Replace fuel filter yet? Still sounds similar to my clogged fuel filter. Cheap and easy to do.
Alright, made an attempt at this but I do not see how to get the cap off without removing the airbox (?) that sits rear of the fuel bowl and over the valley. I unscrewed it as far as I could without forcing it and it hits the bottom of that assembly. Am i missing something? I also do not see how one is supposed to get to that yellow lever to drain the bowl? Now I've got fuel sitting in the valley, that'll be a great smell later.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8779.jpg   IMG_8780.jpg   IMG_8781.jpg  
Old 04-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #27

It looks like the air box resonator is still in place you'll have to take that out and I found it was much easier from the doghouse side.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #28

Quote:
It looks like the air box resonator is still in place you'll have to take that out and I found it was much easier from the doghouse side.
+1, agreed.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #29

I was able to get the top off the fuel filter after just removing the air filter box (4 or so small bolts), tap it loose and remove. I was able to get the top off without removing the resonator but maybe yours is a little different? Take fuel filter out and suck all the fuel out (i used a tiny little plastic syringe. The drain hose is not connected to my drain valve) Inspect, install new filter.

You just never know what is going to fight you.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #30

I think that plug in the picture is the oil pressure sensor. Unpluging that will maybe give you better access. Wedge the intake over towards the right as well.