Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2019, 09:44 PM   #1

That dreaded EGR on a 6.0 Ford diesel.

I spent much of last summer working on repairing damage to the poptop from a crack and holes left when a solar panel was stolen off my 2006 Ford RB50 SMB. The photo shows the top right after I sprayed it with Raptorliner. I got the outside of the top done and was getting ready to work on the inside ceiling panels about a month ago, and I took it for a drive on a Sunday afternoon since it had been sitting for a couple weeks. On the drive the "check engine" light came on. Scan Gauge says it was EGR related. Off to the shop it went.

The van has just under 100,000 miles on it and has the infamous 6.0 diesel in it. The engine is totally stock. It had the turbo swapped out twice in the first couple of years, both times under warranty by Ford. The third turbo has been fine since being installed. The coolant system was flushed at 50,000 miles and it has had Amsoil synthetic oil in it since the first oil change. I have read many tales of the EGR cooler and/or oil cooler plugging up before 100,000 miles on 6.0 diesels so I guess I can't complain too much, but these are going to be the most costly repairs to it yet.

The work list currently being done includes:

Upgrade bulletproof EGR cooler and passage cleaning, factory EGR valve and factory engine oil cooler replacement (includes engine oil flush.)

Clean and service turbo while out.

Install remote coolant filter with new radiator hoses and full system flush.

Install customer provided batteries.

Service transmission with inline filter.

Replace fuel filters and flush diesel injectors.

Replace serpentine belt.

Replace FICM with upgraded (high voltage unit).
----

Hopefully, I'll be set for another long time before any engine work is needed.

What a hobby, eh?

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 8.40.22 PM.jpg  

Old 01-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #2

Sorry to hear that. What does "passage cleaning" mean? I presume cleaning the intake manifold but just a suggestion, leave that oil cooler in while they do any kind of flushing.

Consider adding the 6.4 pan and bigger coolant filter on your transmission service. One of the best mods for the buck.

Since the radiator is likely coming out consider replacing the brake vacuum pump. Also a good time to consider the BPD water pump. Not that the OEM pump has a reputation for going bad but it does have plastic impellors. One of mine was broken when I addressed the EGR system in my rig.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #3

Can the injectors be flushed? Not sure what that is all about but since all that top end stuff is coming off you might consider having them bench tested or at 90k replace the whole shebang.

And from everything I've read (so no experience) but there's not much proof that a 58v FICM is an upgrade. The 6 phase 58V unit from BPD does have redundancy but you could save quite a bit by simply having the existing unit repaired/upgraded by FicmRepair.com. It's generally the power supply side that fails and not the logic board.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Can the injectors be flushed? Not sure what that is all about but since all that top end stuff is coming off you might consider having them bench tested or at 90k replace the whole shebang.

And from everything I've read (so no experience) but there's not much proof that a 58v FICM is an upgrade. The 6 phase 58V unit from BPD does have redundancy but you could save quite a bit by simply having the existing unit repaired/upgraded by FicmRepair.com. It's generally the power supply side that fails and not the logic board.
Once AGAIN V-10
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Boy View Post
Once AGAIN V-10

I thought you sold your van. Move along now.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #6

JoeH, thanks for your thoughts.

The shop and I considered many options and came up with this list. The external air cooled BPD oil cooler was an item that I wanted, but in the end having the Amsoil double filter and the Aluminess front bumper made mounting the external oil cooler a huge project. We are hoping that since I got 100,000 miles out of the stock Ford oil cooler the first time, and am adding a coolant filter now, that I'll get that many miles out of the new factory oil cooler.

Four injectors on the driver's side were change several years ago. We have found no signs of trouble with any of them now in there. The shop tells me flushing them is a good thing. It's a big shop that does lots of commercial diesel work and I have used them for 20 years and never felt they were just selling me crap I didn't need. I hope that feeling continues. Lol...

Brian
Old 01-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #7

I looked hard at the BPD external oil cooler but in the end decided in was a solution in search of a problem. With a swap to an extended life coolant (ELC) or regular maintenance of the Ford Gold and installation of a coolant filter you've solved the problem of clogging oil cooler. There will always be some casting sand in the block but with a proper flush your mechanic will have taken care of that as well. I had never heard of "flushing" and injector so I'm interested in what they do. Sound like they know what they're doing and since you've already done 4 then they probably also replaced the standpipes and dummy plugs with the upgraded OEM parts.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
I thought you sold your van. Move along now.
I did. Lookin for another,but,WILL have a V-10. Will move on with NO diesel headaches
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
I did. Lookin for another,but,WILL have a V-10. Will move on with NO diesel headaches

Fine but your just trolling here and contributing nothing useful. I suggest you follow your own advice from one of YOUR threads
Quote:
For all you current Forum members if you know someone interested, fine, otherwise keep your SNARKEY, Smarta** comments to yourself and Have a Nice Day
Old 01-14-2019, 08:15 PM   #10

Can you give us a rundown on what this is costing you? I will be dropping Sportacus off at a local shop in the next few weeks so they can check the injector circuit out. If I need a few injectors it may be wise to do some other bulletproofing while there are in there.
I am most interested in the cost of EGR and fuel injectors.