Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #1

The Hits Just Keep Coming - 7.3 Problems

I'm just whining here. Ever since I got the van worked on in Fresno (Freedom Ford), something hasn't been right. There seemed a loss of power (not to mention repeated DTC P1211 codes). Two days ago, I left work and figured my fuel had gelled (cold, but not super cold outside and fuel was a winter blend, so hummm). Black smoke, surging, huge power loss. Got down to lower a lower elevation (higher temps) and things seemed better (also added anti-gel, etc.). The following morning (van plugged in all night), everything is ok (again, it seems something isn't quite right power-wise, but not blowing the black smoke like the day before when I thought I had gelled). Leave work and I'm smoking like a smelting stack in Pittsburg. Well, it can't be gelling, so its something else. So, thinking cap on, here's where I'm at:

Plugged in (warm oil) =no huge problems.
Not plugged in =huge problems (that eventually go away after 20 minutes or so (when oil is good and hot)).
Problems immediately started when I got my rig back from dealer (high pressure oil lines install/repair).
Solution: My best guess (and seems the CW on dieselstop too) is the monkey allowed something into the high pressure oil system that is partially plugging the IPR Valve (high pressure oil regulator valve). So, I need to order up a IPR Valve off the Net (local Ford Dealer =$350; Net =$120 plus shipping (Motorcraft too)). Already ordered a new ICP sensor just as a good measure. Buying the parts sucks, but having to dig into this van, again, in Winter, outside, well, there's where the whining come in. What a PITA.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #2

Re: The Hits Just Keep Coming - 7.3 Problems

I know I might be comparing apples and oranges here...But in my Mercedes Diesel when my fuel filter is plugged I get some of the same symptoms...Loss of power and hard starting most noticeably. Especially in colder temps. when the fuel Is less viscous. This compounded on the fact that I run a lot of Biodiesel and veggie oil in the old MB. The black smoke might be associated with the fuel not fully combusting...Just throwing that out there...
Old 01-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #3

Its along the same vein. The high pressure oil system in the Powerstroke actually powers the fuel injectors. If there is a problem with the oil system (oil old and dirty, low oil, not being routed correctly, bad HP oil pump, bad ICP sensor, bad IRP Valve), there can be the fuel issues. My fuel filter is new, I did a complete Amsoil oil/filters change (my second in less than one year) 4k miles ago, I changed the oil filter (the non-bypass one) within the past couple hundred and topped off. This fault code is very broad. It could even mean my fuel pump is failing, but its too much a coincidence for that to be the problem (also, in my experience, when an electric pump pump goes, it goes...I mean it goes right now). I do have a new Motorcraft fuel pump ready to go for the day when that happens, but its not today. If we were refinancing right now, I'd run out and buy a Corolla as driving this bad boy daily makes things difficult (its too cold and icy to break out the motorcycles to get me to work). Wish my old VW was done.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Any record that they reflashed your computer? Ford (and others) periodically reprogram onboard computers, usually in the interest of emissions, and anecdotally, it rarely makes the engine perform better.

Herb
Old 01-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #5

Nah, they didn't touch it. The issue (oil lines) was obvious.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #6

Deminimis,
Yeah, these newer diesels are way more hi-tech than my 27 year old Mercedes. IDI, no computer, manual linkage the whole deal. And easy to work on. The SMB is the newest vehicle I have ever owned and I'm used to working on my on cars. We will see how that goes with this thing.
Where are you located...If you need a good running temporary car I have one for sale. I just posted it in the Classifieds yesterday.
Anyway, good luck. I hope all works out with the SMB...
Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #7

I'm, hee hee, in the Beaver State. Thanks. I think I'll go grab my inlaws' big 460 Ford or my Parent's Pilot (I think they want us to but their Pilot, but don't really need another big rig) if I can't get this thing resolved this weekend.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #8

I have no idea if this could help, but since you had your high pressure oil system worked on, maybe it could help. I did this after my HP oil pump was replaced. It did seem to help. Keep in mind this bulletin was in regards to the 6.0 PSD, so also not positive it would apply to a 7.3.

Quote:
"Long Cranking Times at Factory Delivery or After HP Oil System Repair:
If a 6.0 cranks for longer than 2.5 seconds in temperatures above 32 degrees it may be due to air trapped in the HP oil system. To purge the air, drive the truck through 12 hard accelerations from 25-50 MPH. Turn off the engine and allow the truck to sit for 5 minutes. Restart the engine to see if crank time has improved. Crank times of 3-5 seconds in cold temperatures should be considered normal.
TSB #05-19-14."
Good luck -
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #9

Thanks. With the trip back from Fresno and daily driving, any air should have been long purged. Just waiting on parts now. Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi
I have no idea if this could help, but since you had your high pressure oil system worked on, maybe it could help. I did this after my HP oil pump was replaced. It did seem to help. Keep in mind this bulletin was in regards to the 6.0 PSD, so also not positive it would apply to a 7.3.

Quote:
"Long Cranking Times at Factory Delivery or After HP Oil System Repair:
If a 6.0 cranks for longer than 2.5 seconds in temperatures above 32 degrees it may be due to air trapped in the HP oil system. To purge the air, drive the truck through 12 hard accelerations from 25-50 MPH. Turn off the engine and allow the truck to sit for 5 minutes. Restart the engine to see if crank time has improved. Crank times of 3-5 seconds in cold temperatures should be considered normal.
TSB #05-19-14."
Good luck -
Phil
Wow Phil. Where did you get that info? Is that from a Ford web site? I like to keep all that kind of info in a file on my PC in the van so If I have a problem on the road, reading it might save my ass in the middle of nowhere...Thanks I'll cut and paste that one.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote