Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #11

Re: The Oil Thread -A Cationary Tale?

Its been approx 150 miles since I did my last oil change. Thought I'd check the oil out tonight and was very surprised at what I found. The oil is the same color as it was when I changed it (after running the engine a bit to mix the fresh oil throughout the engine of course). I'm definitely getting the soot cleaned out of this engine. I've never been able to see the word "ADD" or the hash marks on the dip stick through the oil before. I realize 150 miles in nothing, but bear in mind my oil was always instantly black with the aftermarket system, even after a complete oil and filter change. Taking a pic of a dip stick and trying to convey the oil color is jsut about impossible with a camera phone. however, if you look at the pic closely, you'll actually see the hash marks. No frills and cheap, but this is promising.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #12

Re: The Oil Thread -A Cationary Tale?

You know, I was half joking when I mentioned the old Frantz TP oil filters above. Then I started looking into these creatures of old and have had a few discussions with the new owners of Frantz. You know, it might be worth considering. Here's the deal, the Frantz bypass filter allows oil to pass (enter) by a tiny hole (1/16" or so if I remember correctly). Simple. This filter operates on its own (seperate of the stock full flow filter remains on the 7.3). If the Frantz filter plugs up before you change out the TP roll, then it just doesn't work. It doesn't restrict flow to the engine/full flow filter, its just no oil flows into/through the Frantz filter. In other words, if you are neglectful, it can't hurt you engine because you are still filtering all oil with your stock filter. Now, pinning anyone down on a fast and dirty filtering number is not happening, which causes me some pause, but I've read the bypass filters between 1/10 and 1 micron (I'm more inclined to go with the latter). A few years back I bought a '70's Cehvy Camper Special. It had a Frantz and I round filed it because I didn't want to mess with it (didn't think it was needed). Man I wish I would have kept it. New system is around $200. Thing is, once you buy it, you're done. TP is cheap. I'm seriously considering a Frantz filter. Not mine, but here's a pic of the line routing on a 7.3.

Ray of Click and Clack fame commented on the Frantz filter's small, somewhat cult following: "It's no surprise to us that it never caught on in big numbers, because it requires men to change a roll of toilet paper."