Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #11

Well I went to Ford today and was able to go back in the shop and actually meet the mechanic that is working on my rig. That was a great peace of mind. He showed me with the ultra violet light were the trans fluid is coming from. It looks as if it is coming from the trans tail piece that connects the Atlas to the trans. Now we need to get a new gasket from SMB and change that out. He seemed pretty confident that would do it. He also said they would inspect the surface with a straight edge to make sure everything was good. This guy seemed like he cared about what he was doing. I will let you know how it goes.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #12

FWIW:
i had a similar leak, however, after maybe 2 to 4 gaskets (stock gaskets), by the shop mechanic, i undid it and replaced myself with a silicone gasket which conforms to the space when cured,
somehow, i suspect the contacting metal were never machained straight enough or it was dinged/danged
Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Site Team

Craig,

Was the dye put in the trans or the t/c? Hard for Ford to blame the leak on the t/c if the dye was put into the trans fluid.

FWIW, I had no hassles at Barber Ford when I brought in my van for a check engine light which turned out to be a bad turbo, even though I have an aftermarket exhaust.

Herb
Old 08-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #14

They put the dye in the transmission, and the leak is transmission fluid not transfer case fluid. The leak seems to be coming from the transmission tail piece adapter that sportsmobile provided. That is why sportsmobile will foot the bill. Ford quoted 2.5 hr. labor at 85 bucks an hour.

Craig
Old 09-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #15

Well I have an appointment for next Tuesday the 25th for what I hope will be my final visit to Ford for this %#@* trans leak, its been very frustrating. A $ 90.000.00 rig in the driveway with an oil puddle under it bigger than any leak my old VW Westfalia ever had. Wish me luck.

Craig
Old 09-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Good luck Craig. Too bad your problem wasn't like mine, my work buddies pouring oil under my vehicle to get a reaction out of me.....bastards. I have had my share of problems but you got me beat big time. Sunday I broke the stud on my quick disconnect on the front axle and had to return to SMB in the middle of a short vacation. They also fixed the pro sine control panel that has been hounding me for over a year. Hope you get finalized.
Dave Boyer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
... my work buddies pouring oil under my vehicle to get a reaction out of me.....bastards...
That's harsh. Funny, but harsh.

Herb
Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 PM   #18

Chocolate syrup is an environmentally friendly way to simulate diff fluid- especially effective on the trail...
Old 09-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #19

Well, I picked up my van today after I was told there was no leak. They pulled the transfercase and replaced the transmission adapter gasket. They bid the job and charged three hours, I found out it took the mechanic six hours. So what, it still leaks the exact same way it did before. Needless to say its right back there being delt with. I'll find out more tomarrow. I am very fustrated.

Craig
Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #20

Wow. This is at SMB? You and Buji are going to cross paths.

It sounds like something else is wrong, like the shaft is malformed or has a burr, or the Tcase is misaligned and the seal gets wallowed out? I can't imagine seal after seal leaking.

Good luck keep us up to date.