Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #11

I installed the override switch back in 97 or 98.
Fan works normally when the switch is off

hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #12

Garage
i just went through this exact excercise on my 02 v10/4r100 van. My concern is actually higher speed offroad/prerunning in sand and loose conditions where there is a fair amount of wheel spin and without the converter locked (about 30-36 mph). I saw temps above 230º F without trouble and even higher with the A/C on.

I installed a Tru-Cool 40k in place of the tiny stock cooler and it definitely makes a quantifiable difference in temps. Around town I run about 135ºF and offroad the highest I've seen driving the van as hard as the chassis would permit was 187º.

From my experience, the factory ford 6.0L diesel cooler will not fit the 02-07 platform without an inordinate amount of work. Conversely, the Tru-Cool was nearly a simple R&R for the OEM with just a few brackets needing to be bent up (provided in the kit). I too was concerned about the 4r100 CBV leaking and raising temps (bypassing the cooler circuit), but this doesn't appear to be the case as the trans temp recovers rather quickly now when I pull the van to an idle. I am still searching for a solid answer on why the A/C operation impacts trans temp (hotter). All I have to back it up is several different vehicles all exhibited the same symptoms (trans temp increases when running A/C). Heat soak back from the condenser is a possible explanation, but it seems a little far fetched for the amount of rise.

For reference, my father has a very strong/aftermarket 09 Dodge Ram with the Cummins 6.7 engine and it runs nearly the exact same temps my van does now that the Tru-Cool has been installed. We ran the same route at the same speed and the temps correlate awfully close to one another.

Mark K from FTE noted the trans can sustain 250ºF with a hard stop limit of 275ºF. He was on the trans program for Ford and my contacts at Ford verified that info.

I've decided to ignore my tuner when offroading and that seems to help my peace of mind a bit. Peak from last weekend in Big Bear with slower speed crawling with a/c on and fully loaded with gear was 187ºF....I can live with those numbers.

Hope this helps a little.

Scott

Pic without the grill has the cooler just set in place without being mounted to show size.
Attached Thumbnails
20160422_165517.jpg   20160422_165359.jpg   20160422_152912.jpg   20160529_094258.jpg  
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #13

The thing that made by far the most difference in ECT, trans cooling, maybe even intercooler, and A/C performance has been the hood louvers. I kind of did the louvers last after all the other mods. 40k tru-cool, transmission fan with thermostat control, manual main fan over ride(which I never seem to use anymore) etc. If I ever owned another van I would put the louvers in right away. I understand though that it may be unnerving taking a saw to you hood but my van shows the signs of a rough life so I didn't hesitate.
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
The thing that made by far the most difference in ECT, trans cooling, maybe even intercooler, and A/C performance has been the hood louvers. I kind of did the louvers last after all the other mods. 40k tru-cool, transmission fan with thermostat control, manual main fan over ride(which I never seem to use anymore) etc. If I ever owned another van I would put the louvers in right away. I understand though that it may be unnerving taking a saw to you hood but my van shows the signs of a rough life so I didn't hesitate.
-Eric
Eric,

Quick aside from the thread.....do you have the source info for the louvers on your van? I have no problem cutting mine up.....haha.

Scott
Old 06-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #15

Sure Scott.

RunCool Hood Louvers - Hood Vents For Your Vehicle - Cool Your Engine
I'm pretty sure I ordered the large size but I can confirm that if you have a question. You've seen a picture of my van to see what the size looks like.

here is a good "how to" by member pjpvi. I pretty much followed his method. I installed.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...eat-13247.html

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Sure Scott.

I'm pretty sure I ordered the large size but I can confirm that if you have a question. You've seen a picture of my van to see what the size looks like.

here is a good "how to" by member pjpvi. I pretty much followed his method. I installed.

-Eric
Excellent, thank your sir. Added to the never ending to-do list!

Scott
Old 06-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #17

I don't have louvers, but I have pulled the hood off when towing over Donner pass in the summer. It doesn't help with things heating up, but does allow them to cool down much faster when you stop or go downhill.

I think it's four bolts, certainly something to keep in mind for the occasional situation. It's technically not illegal in CA, but do make sure no one sticks their hand into the running belts.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #18

I'm not convinced the louvers do anything while moving but most certainly help dissipate heat once stopped. I did the Tru-Cool 40K earlier this year on my 6.0 and that was the game-changer. It appears the days of +200F ECT are over.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #19
Site Team

Not directly SMB related, but one of the biggest cooling improvements (both ECT and EOT) made on my Excursion was having the fan-clutch replaced. I didn't even realize it wasn't working, but a shop diagnosed it wasn't working and replaced it, and it made a world of difference.

Herb
Old 06-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Sure Scott.

-Eric
Pjpvi did the large and from his thread you can see how they wrap over the curve a bit. Looks pretty sweet. The medium doesn't require the removal of as much hood structure.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote