Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #1

Transmission programming

I recently attempted to change the programming of my 2000 EB50 7.3 PSD. I thought the Scorpion Engine Brake and Torque Convertor Programmer would do the job. The product's seller Sean Kammer assured me that it had been done lots of times on these vehicles. When it arrived the instructions were barely legible using a 5 pt font and the wiring instructions bore no relationship to the 7.3 PSD as fitted to the E350. Most important is that there does not appear to be any EBC or Engine Brake Control in the system the way there is for the trucks. In addition the wheel speed sensor is not defined by a wire color that is discoverable from the wiring diagram in Chiltons.

Has anyone been able to fit a system that permits the transmission change points to be reprogrammed. Specifically I want to retain TC lock at lower speeds as the use of a chip and some other mods have made this a feasible approach to lowring fuel consumption

Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #2

To clsoe this out. I removed the device as it could not function without the unfindable wheel speed sensor connection. Its still begs the question as to why there are so many threads about fule use and yet everyone is afraid to use their torque convertor lock up. If I could find someone to fit a programmable t/c lock I would.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #3

Depends on the shops in your area I guess. I know an offroad place that does engine brakes, chips and everything else on diesels.

Personally I don't have any issues with how my vehicles perform on or offroad so I don't see the need. Plus I doubt Ford would look kindly on such a mod with regards to the warranty I still have.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #4

I would like to be able to control the TC lockup. If it stayed locked, you would have much better engine braking. And eliminating the slippage at lower speeds would improve fuel economy and reduce transmission temps. All the power lost due to TC slippage turns into heat. It would nice to reduce those losses.

When running at low speeds (~5-10mpg) in low range climbing hills, my transmission temps quickly shoot up to 225 or more. That can't be good.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #5

I agree and that is my point. Warranty aside which is understandable, the diesel motors have so much torque you can save considerable w&t and gas my locking up at 1700 rpm. Furthermore when using cruise control, the programing is very binary inasmuch as a decline of 1 mph is sufficient to command nearly full throttle to maintain speed and thus unlock the t/c. By overriding this unlock because the speed sensor shows the vehicle to be above the preset unlock level, the throttle command will increase boost but will still allow the t/c to remain locked and thus keep gas, noise and wear at lower levels.

One of thje problems with the E series vans is that the wiring color codes differ from model to model and only people who "know" transmissions can find the cables that transalte to the programming isntructions for these t/c lock devices which are exclusively made for the F series Ford trucks and ignore the existence of the E series config.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #6

Hope this is not too much off topic, but I am looking to do something similar... if I only knew how.

My F350 truck can pull a 12K # trailer down a 6% decline and not even use the brakes. That is what the tow/haul switch is for.

My E350 down the same grade, no trailer, or maybe a 7K# trailer - whoa baby, time to downshift.

I'd like to map the tranny in the van to something a little more like the truck - any takers on how this is possible? Or why it is not already that way?
The tow/haul in the van just takes it out of overdrive... gee, thanks....

Exhaust brake - can we put these on the vans? I've heard otherwise.

Many thanks.

Mike
Windzup is offline   Reply With Quote