Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #1

Transmission Replacement Questions

Looks like I need a new transmission. 4R100 leaking like a sieve, not shifting perfectly.

So I got some options:

1. Go with new Ford unit
2. Looks like maybe Ford also makes a Heavy Duty 4R100.. Not sure what the price difference is.
3. Rebuild the one I have.

Thoughts? Best option? Ford is more expensive but also comes with 3 year warranty. What about something different?

Also, while I'm in there should I add a fancy Banks torque converter or anything (not that I want to spend more money.. but if it makes sense).

Thoughts?

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Transmission Replacement Questions

John Woods in SoCal, or BTS (Brian's Truck Shop) in Arkansas. Best 4R100 builders out there, and both will ship.

http://www.jwtt.com/

http://www.brianstruckshop.com/

Herb
Old 04-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
John Woods in SoCal, or BTS (Brian's Truck Shop) in Arkansas. Best 4R100 builders out there, and both will ship.

Herb
Yes, I was checking them out, but both quite a bit more money.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #4

Quote:

Herb
D'oh.

John Wood on vacation for another week, that's not going to work!

BTS not answering phone. Hopefully they call back quickly!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Site Team

That's too bad. I take it you're looking to get things done ASAP.

When I was first shopping for an Excursion, I called and talked to John Wood and asked lots of questions. John was very helpful.

Brian (of BTS) can be hard to get hold of, but is also very helpful. I've bugged him more than once since the Excursion I ended up buying had one of his transmission in it (the Excursion actually used to be owned by him).

Both are expensive transmissoins, but both have stellar reputations. Whether the price difference is worth it to you or not is subjective (how long do you plan on keeping the rig, will you tow,...).

Herb

[EDIT: not sure if it will fit in a van, but I had my 7.3L transmission cooler swapped for a 6.0L transmission cooler. Much larger.]
Old 04-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
That's too bad. I take it you're looking to get things done ASAP.

When I was first shopping for an Excursion, I called and talked to John Wood and asked lots of questions. John was very helpful.

Brian (of BTS) can be hard to get hold of, but is also very helpful. I've bugged him more than once since the Excursion I ended up buying had one of his transmission in it (the Excursion actually used to be owned by him).

Both are expensive transmissoins, but both have stellar reputations. Whether the price difference is worth it to you or not is subjective (how long do you plan on keeping the rig, will you tow,...).

Herb

[EDIT: not sure if it will fit in a van, but I had my 7.3L transmission cooler swapped for a 6.0L transmission cooler. Much larger.]
Yes, I'd like to get it done. It's a pretty steady leak/gusher.

That subjective bit is the hard part.. my old van had 194k with no transmission issues, worked great. New one not so much.

And if I do new Ford one, definitely can't swap coolers.. they require new stock cooler to be installed at the same time or new 3 year warranty is void.

Hmmm. Decisions decisions.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #7

Ditto on what Bronco Hauler said. Since I am in CA I will go to JW when my 4R100 goes out, if I don't then convert to a ZF6.

Don't let the title of this thread throw you. Instead read it for what happens when you don't go to John Woods or to Brian's Truck Stop. This guy needed his truck fast for work:

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/sho ... p?t=338978

Tugly went with the HD4R100 and seems to be happy. Maybe pm him?

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/membe ... 100502.png

Here is the HD4R100 applications chart from Mueckster over at ford-trucks.com:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4r100hdapplicationschart.pdf (82.0 KB, 9 views)
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #8

Talked to BTS.

$5200 including shipping.

And they're booked through mid-July. I can't wait that long, so they're out.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #9

For lack of a better option, I went with a stock swap. Probably regret it down the road, cause the Wood or BTS ones sound way better... but I don't have weeks or months to wait to get it fixed.

Interestingly two different Ford dealers in the area were completely clueless as to the HD version. One denied that Ford even had such a thing, even as I pointed out that their website said they did. And the other acknowledged that there was one, but had no clue what differences it might or might not have.

Oh well. If nothing else I get a 3 year warranty out of this one. I just hope next time it blows up I don't need the van for a month or so. As opposed to the start of summer.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #10

Drive the crap out of it asap!

On my 1993 Bronco, which I bought new (along with the Ford 100K ext. warranty) the dealer replaced the E40D at 60K (just after the normal warranty period expired) and then replaced that E40D at 75K still under the 100K ext. warranty. But the third E40D (orig, first replacement, second replacement) was still doing fine when I sold the Bronco at approx. 200K miles.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote