Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Re: Transmission Temperature

We installed our Scan Guage II immediatley upon purchase of McBeast a year ago, and have monitored tranny temp over that entire time. I keep a closer eye on coolant temp and fuel economy, but I don't think I have seen the tranny temp get anywhere close to what you have talked about above.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #22

When I put on my long range driving lights on the middle bar of my Buckstop... Instant 30 degree rise of trans temps.

I'm guessing anyone with lights in front of the grill may have this problem. Just no more clean air coming into the trans cooler.

I just picked up a Tru-cool 45k that I will mount lower down. I'll be using a thermal bypass since this new cooler is so huge.

problem #2 - loads on the front rack. Haven't figured that one out yet. Hopefully the 45k cooler will be enough even with coolers on the the front (which only go up there if I'm towing).

Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #23

Tranny temps aside that setup looks sketchy as heck!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #24

Bill,

It appears I am having the same problem as you. I just got back from our first trip in hot weather where I had the Scan Guage set up to read transmission temp and on I-15 between Moab and Denver on flat sections doing 65 we were running 220 + outside temp was 80. We also had fluid blowing out of the breather on the transmission which really freaked me out. We stopped at a dealer in Denver to have them check it out and were told it was just over heating because we were "pushing it to hard." He then told us we had the "wrong" transmission cooler because the one on the diesel pickup truck is much larger. Same story you got. When I suggested that if Ford put the "wrong" trans. cooler on then they should fix it he backed of and said he really doesn't see many diesel vans. Needless to say from this point I didn't have a lot of confidence in what he was telling me and he was their transmission "expert".

On the way home I really watched the temp. and backed off every time it started to rise and we had no more leaks but the weird thing is on I-84 out of Salt Lake City we were doing 75 in 90 degree weather and the transmission was only running 200-205. Hotter weather and higher speeds it should have been hotter than before.

After returning home I called our local dealer and told our service adviser what happened and he said that even if the vans is very heavy the transmission cooler should be adequate and that there is possibly a blockage somewhere in the system that is restricting the flow of oil to the cooler. I have an appointment with them on next Tuesday and will let you know what I find out.

I would love to hear if you have had any resolution for your problem yet.

John
Old 05-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #25
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Dana
Bill,

It appears I am not having the same problem as you. I just got back from our first trip in hot weather where I had the Scan Guage set up to read transmission temp and on I-15 between Moab and Denver on flat sections doing 65 we were running 220 + outside temp was 80. We also had fluid blowing out of the breather on the transmission which really freaked me out. We stopped at a dealer in Denver to have them check it out and were told it was just over heating because we were "pushing it to hard." He then told us we had the "wrong" transmission cooler because the one on the diesel pickup truck is much larger. Same story you got. When I suggested that if Ford put the "wrong" trans. cooler on then they should fix it he backed of and said he really doesn't see many diesel vans. Needless to say from this point I didn't have a lot of confidence in what he was telling me and he was their transmission "expert".

On the way home I really watched the temp. and backed off every time it started to rise and we had no more leaks but the weird thing is on I-84 out of Salt Lake City we were doing 75 in 90 degree weather and the transmission was only running 200-205. Hotter weather and higher speeds it should have been hotter than before.

After returning home I called our local dealer and told our service adviser what happened and he said that even if the vans is very heavy the transmission cooler should be adequate and that there is possibly a blockage somewhere in the system that is restricting the flow of oil to the cooler. I have an appointment with them on next Tuesday and will let you know what I find out.

I would love to hear if you have had any resolution for your problem yet.

John
This may or may not apply since I have an older Sportsmobile with a V8(460) with brand new E40D transmission (bulletproof built) but I had a sorta similar issue when I was traveling to Zion, Utah from Vegas when it was a 114 degrees, it was hot.. and noticed this similar transmission heat issue on highway 15..

Transmission temps were running 190-205 for me and after I got home I did some discovery and noticed that my exhaust pipes were awful close the transmission cooler lines by design. Infact, on exhaust tube runs across the front of the transmission.
So I did something about it by buying a few things to help it which included a new transmission cooler (B&M SuperCooler Transmission Cooler) , a new transmission pan (''DeraleTurbulator Cooling Tubes'' ), exhaust heat wraps and thermal sleeves for the transmission lines.

In my case, it really helped and reduced the temps considerably. The average temps around town during the summer were in the 170-195 range after a few miles of stop and go and the thermal sleeves and exhaust wraps reduced it to 160-180 range. Granted I've got a hot 460V8 and comparing notes with my buddies van, he's running 150-175 range with a 351V8.

I also added thermal adhevsive shields at various locations underneath close to where the exhaust was near the van floor to help with the heat coming up to the cabin area.

Someone else hopefully will give you their average transmission cooler temps so we can see if it's normal operating temperatures..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Hello all
I had an appointment with the Ford Truck Service Center in Salinas last Monday. I arrived at 0730 and dropped my truck off after talking to the foreman. He said that it sounded like my temps were typical. I told him that I'd just been on a trip to Moab with a bunch of identical trucks and my temps were 30 to 50 deg. higher. He said that's normal, just the difference between different vehicles. I told him that I thought he was full of shit or words to that effect, and left. About ten minutes later, the service writer phoned on my cell as my wife was driving me home, and said that their "transmission scanner" had been out of service for a couple of weeks and was still not working. She said that I could come back and take my van home, and she'd call when the "transmission scanner" was working again. I phoned her today and she "had to leave early" I'll try again on the morrow and report.
Bill
Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #27
Site Team

WTF is a transmission scanner?

30-50 degrees difference is acceptable from one vehicle to another? What crap. Are there any other Ford dealers nearby?

Herb
Old 05-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #28

Bill,

Wow! That is worse than frustrating! I think Herb is right time to find a different dealer. Hopefully my trip to the dealer will be more enlightening. I will let you know what happens.

John
Old 05-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

The other dealer is the one that said they'd get back to me.
Bill
Old 05-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #30

I just dropped my SMB of at our local dealer to diagnose our transmission problem. The service advisor told me that they are going to hook it up to a diagnostic reader that will test all of the electrical controls for the transmission. They are also going to check the fluid and if it looks bad they said they will pull the pan. Hopefully I will have better luck than you did Bill and get an intelligent answer to what is the problem.

John