Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #21

There is also a wand you can use ( I have one) to find weak coils. It’s a bit tricky because you have to sometimes load up the motor to find it. Another trick is to buy one good one and swap it in, and keep swapping out 1 until the misfire goes away.

But all I will say is only use motorcraft coils. There is no upgrade, just downgrades. I have been messing with ford Lightnings for the last 15 years, and even the 700hp blower trucks to the 1000hp turbo trucks run oem cops. They are the same cops and basic engine as in the vans.

bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:48 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
There is also a wand you can use ( I have one) to find weak coils.
I've seen those---typically Wakeon brand? I first saw them on sale or a blow out auction on FleaBay for like $30 each--dragged my feet and suddenly they're about $100 more now. For the most part my COP's have pretty much immediately and permanently failed or at least the PCM has set a code. Using just an Actron scanner I'll replace the offending COP and be done with it---I'm too lazy to swap them out one-by-one.

If you're tech savvy the free software download from FORScan.org is a marvelous tool. It gives nearly dealer level access to diagnostics as well as allowing a user to change options within factory modules that are part of the CAN-bus network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
But all I will say is only use motorcraft coils. There is no upgrade, just downgrades.
That's a great observation! As I say with the cost of MC COP's coming down so much lately there's just no reason to use any other brand.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote