Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewInSeattle View Post
On our 4x4 Sprinter, it's more like 1 gallon per 8 or 9 hundred miles, give or take.
That would be enough for me to at least give those pumps a try.

Now that I'm learning that the nozzle size is standard, I might not be above topping off the BMW at a truck stop. I'll report back on that in 6-8 months.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #12

First trip I did in mine when I got it I was was within minutes of limp mode just south of Yosemite in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately found a station with some DEF at the last minute otherwise the family vacation would’ve been....well it would’ve gotten more interesting. I don’t plan on deleting mine but sheesh it’s enough to make one half way consider it.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Here in the west, I have occasionally pulled into a fueling station and discovered it was one of those fleet based closed system stations the OP mentioned. There may be 20 or more pumps, but usually no one is using them. You have to be part of a commercial fleet that has a contract with the fuel distributor to use their pumps. And that requires a special key or key card to access. It's pretty disappointing to exit the freeway, take a round-about route to get there, only to discover you can't actually use it!
Gotcha. I'm familiar with those. I didn't catch his meaning. Yep, you've got to have a Comdata or similar card to use them. If there is one near where you live it might be worth looking in to which cards are accepted. The problem with regular truck stops is that there are often lines of trucks at every pump. It can take a half hour or more to fill up since each truck takes 10-15 minutes to pump 200 gallons.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:36 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
First trip I did in mine when I got it I was was within minutes of limp mode just south of Yosemite in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately found a station with some DEF at the last minute otherwise the family vacation would’ve been....well it would’ve gotten more interesting. I don’t plan on deleting mine but sheesh it’s enough to make one half way consider it.
It might be a good idea to carry a full unopened jug of DEF inside the vehicle to be used only in an emergency. I'm sure most fuel stations have it available but always better to be stocked up just in case.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #15

Yep, that’s something I do now if I’m out in the boonies for any long period of time. I also make it a point to fill it before heading out on a trip and that’s been enough. I’ve not had any close calls since then. I need to do a mileage check between fillups to see how far a tank gets me. It’s thousands of miles though I know that.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #16
Orv

Garage
When I had a diesel I preferred to fill up at truck stops because I knew they'd be turning their fuel over regularly. At a small gas station you never know how long it's been sitting in the tank accumulating water. One exception was a Meijer station near where I used to live -- I knew their diesel was good because the local fire department and ambulance company filled up there all the time.