Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #1

Tuner recommendations 7.3 Powerstroke

I recently drove my 97 Ambulance back from Agile where 4x4 and suspension work was done. I am now trying to decide whether to install a tuner ...my goals are;
Add a little power (40-50hp)..I'd like to add more of course but I don't want to lose dependability or longevity
Crisper shifting The transmission was rebuilt but I would like to get crisper shifts as well as have a "Tow" mode that would allow powered deceleraration similar to what my newer F350's have when I engage the "Tow" button
The rig is based on an E450 chassis and has an R100 transmission. It weighs roughly 12000 lbs now and not yet fully loaded. I did have it regearred to 4.56 btw but added 33" tires which raised the overall gearing back up some. I will try to post a few pictures I took in Baja after picking up at AGile. I would welcome any advice .
Thanks!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ambo13.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	14074
Click image for larger version

Name:	ambo14.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	14075

SLACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Team

I have a 6 position chip in my 7.3L Excursion with Tony Wildman tunes.

Here's his website, but I got his tunes through one of his dealers.
About

Tony's tunes come with Lifetime free reburns if you should need it.

Herb
Old 11-30-2016, 08:21 PM   #3

I've tried tune from Gearhead, Innovative, TSD, and have settled on the 80HP tune from Power Hungry Performance. Tuning - Power Hungry Performance#

I have a 6.0 but Bill at PHP teethed on the powerstroke while working for Banks and then was hired by Edge. When Edge dropped tuning in 2005 or so it was turned over to Jody at DPtuner and Bill started PHP. PHP went on to engineer FICM tuning on the 6.0 but no doubt knows how to wake up a sleepy 7.3. Send an email to Jay. jay@phptune.com
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

I had a DP tuner on my 03 7.3 and wasn't happy. I've had 5 Star Tuning on my 05 V10 and it was awesome then I had 5 Star Tuning on my current 01 7.3 and with in 7 months I had to replace the motor...
I'll stick with stock.
But when $ and time allow I'll be doing a valve body upgrade to my trans. Maybe John woods or BTS...
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

I ran the Edge on my last van with the 7.3. Mainly bought it for the gauges but I normally had it set on the mid level. It definitely woke up the motor but I felt like it shifted like hell and was hard on an already fairly weak tranny. I just altered my driving habits by letting off the gas before it shifted if I was getting on it. Overall I liked the gauges and the power. Edge has a module for improving shifting but I could never get a clear answer if it worked on the vans.

If you are after power improvement and the Guages the Edge works. If you don't care about guages you might consider custom tunes.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:27 PM   #6

Other threads on this very topic here:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ner-17192.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ner-10767.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...e-it-7223.html
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #7

Thanks! I appreciate the info
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I have a 6 position chip in my 7.3L Excursion with Tony Wildman tunes.

Here's his website, but I got his tunes through one of his dealers.
About

Tony's tunes come with Lifetime free reburns if you should need it.

Herb
Old 12-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #8

Thanks!........The Diesel mechanic in San Diego (Al Provencio) recommended the PHP as well.
Did you see much difference in your transmission performance?
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
I've tried tune from Gearhead, Innovative, TSD, and have settled on the 80HP tune from Power Hungry Performance. Tuning - Power Hungry Performance#

I have a 6.0 but Bill at PHP teethed on the powerstroke while working for Banks and then was hired by Edge. When Edge dropped tuning in 2005 or so it was turned over to Jody at DPtuner and Bill started PHP. PHP went on to engineer FICM tuning on the 6.0 but no doubt knows how to wake up a sleepy 7.3. Send an email to Jay. jay@phptune.com
Old 12-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #9

Thanks!...A destroyed motor is on my list of things to avoid for sure!...I'm mainly looking for a little more power and crisper shifts. Agile rebuilt the tranny and installed an aftermarket billet torque converter but the shifting still feels like my grandfathers 64 Cadillac!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
I had a DP tuner on my 03 7.3 and wasn't happy. I've had 5 Star Tuning on my 05 V10 and it was awesome then I had 5 Star Tuning on my current 01 7.3 and with in 7 months I had to replace the motor...
I'll stick with stock.
But when $ and time allow I'll be doing a valve body upgrade to my trans. Maybe John woods or BTS...
Old 12-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLACKER View Post
Thanks! I appreciate the info
Your welcome.

I will say I do also have an upgraded transmission, a larger transmission cooler (a 6.0L trans cooler,) and I have an EGT monitor. There can be consequences to upping the HP of an engine so I took steps to minimize most risks.

Herb