Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2014, 01:18 AM   #11

Re: TWOLOST: My own trip with the 6.0L PSD (2007)

This is a good candidate: http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles. ... nector-r20

Not very easy to get to though(understatement). I did mine as a preventative measure while I had everything apart to replace the oil cooler and egr cooler. There are many other "upgraded" parts(meaning the original parts were poorly engineered and subject to failure or causing problems) that can easily be added, as well, while in there. See here: http://puredieselpower.com/ford/04.5-07 ... 7AodQBkAOg I'm not endorsing this site...it's just the first spot I found which had all of the parts grouped together.

I did all of these except the Stand pipe/dummy plug kit. I also did the 6.4 banjo bolts (see here: http://www.rivercitydiesel.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=54 , again, no site endorsement....).

The wiring harness also needs a thorough check and any heat damage or chafing of the protective coverings should be repaired/reinforced. I added heat shielding to some areas around the turbo and replaced a lot of dried out and crumbling plastic loom protection.

You may want this as well: http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Ford_H ... 000007.htm

Replacing the screen is even a bit more involved, but from what I've read, most originals are not intact when accessed. Mine was not.

"Engine fuel filters have been replaced once (by Ford)" Is this correct? Fuel filters are very important on the 6.0 and should be done every 15k max.

Some good info on our High pressure oil/injection systems: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford ... tems_work/

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #12

Garage

Just to follow-up here... the problem was located. The screen in the FPR broke and then got wedged inside the FPR valve. This held the valve wide open (which dumped all pressure). I opted to replace the FPR with a new one (rather than just purchase the much cheaper screen kit). I will, however, purchase the screen kit for the original FPR so that I have a backup. I was able to gain access to and replace the FPR without taking any other engine bits off. Van once again runs great.

Cheers,
TWOLOST

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #13

Any idea as to what caused the screen to break?
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #14

Garage

Simply stated... I don't know the root cause. I am pretty sure that it was not a single piece of debris that that broke the screen as I did not find any other debris in the valve. Harmonics, stress, ???

Thanks,
TWOLOST

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
Old 11-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #15

Garage
Update (as of 11/02/2020).

This thread started out with my first tow home @ 52,000 miles. My van sat in my shop waiting for diagnosis and repair for almost six months before it was back on the road again. I had finally done enough research, purchased enough diagnostic and repair tools to take a crack at it. Working from the fuel tank forward eventually found the culprit (broken FPR screen).

Fast forward to my second tow Oct, 27 2019. Ironically, my van died within 400 feet of my first tow home (no start when hot). In that time I had added 30K miles since my first tow - but they were certainly not all trouble free miles. I now collect engine 'Codes' instead of baseball cards. Van had 83K original miles when it was last towed.

At that point, I made the call to attempt to 'fix' the universe this 6.0L operated in. I have been lucky twice in that each time I was towed I was less than one mile away from my home. However, my primary use of this vehicle is to travel to remote moderately hard to access locations with my family. Sometimes these trips happen during times of the year when weather events are not ideal. As we have seen with some of the wildfires this past year, breaking down could be life threatening. Then there are other destinations that involve snow, flooding, tides, wind, people, and animals. Even risks that involve a plan-B are are most often calculated on the assumption that the van will start and operate upon command.

So, what does fixing the 6.0 universe actually mean. Well, there are lots of opinions on that. One thing you will notice is that no 6.0 list is a small list.
Look within threads here as well as other Ford diesel related forums to see for yourself. The next realization you may have is that no list is a cheap list.

In my case, I have a simple criteria. Just make it work. I dont need more power, I dont need exotic parts, I just want it to work. Diesel engines have been around for a hundred years and I just want mine to work. I not only want this engine to work today, but I want it to continue to work long after everything else on the van is wore out. Even my 1945 International bulldozer starts on gas and runs on diesel just fine. I will continue to maintain this 6.0 diligently but I want to get out of the business of fixing it.

So what does fixing a running low mileage 6.0 cost? Again, there are lots of options. Most of these options range somewhere between replacing the roof on your house to sending you kid to an out of state four year college.

In real numbers, I was just provided an estimate from my local shop for the repairs that I want and the estimate starts at $18K and goes to $23K quickly. Keep in mind the 6.0 was a $5K option over the V10 already. This is simply to make the engine as reliable and durable as it should have been from day one.

Please note that in my case half of the above price is labor. I have all of the tools and space to do this myself and I know of enough resources to help me figure it all out along the way. What I dont have is weeks of uninterrupted time. If I get side tracked during this project it will likely never go back together - and that may even be worse than having the work performed by someone else.

This is still my favorite vehicle as it enables so many amazing moments with my family but the ongoing 6.0 issues have really tested my ability to keep it. If it comes out on the other side with all of the work complete and it works as expected for many years to come then it was (an unfortunate) part of using this platform. If I continue to fight one repair on another repair and so on then the jokes on me and my 11 year old daughter will need to start prepping for scholarship options.

Time will tell. Van is in the shop. I will post the list of what is being done after the shop diagnoses the no start when hot issue.

Cheers,
TWOLOST
Old 11-02-2020, 10:42 PM   #16

Sorry you have had so many problems. I remember back in 2008 we were both running around Alaska. They are a great platform with sometimes questionable reliability. I hope you get it back on the road soon and it gives you and your family many years of GOOD memories!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:03 AM   #17

Garage
Twolost, For the quotes you mentioned, are you replacing the engine?

IMHO, It never make a lot of sense to me to spend $12-$13K on bullet proofing mods that really don't compliment the internal engine components themselves at the same time (an engine with 80K miles that has bullet proofing done, comes out of the mod process still with 80K mikes of wear & tear - just a few new parts). I know its not for everyone, but at that time I decided to just replaced the entire engine with a new one (with the included mods). Cost me over $23K (but in fairness, I also had a lot of other things replaced while the engine was out - go big or go home mentality!).
Old 11-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #18

Garage
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...t-26768-8.html

Talk to ucsundog (just put in a new engine) or oldbonesclimber or hogasm.

And we definitely recommend buying an Edge CTS2 or CTS3...money well spent as it helps monitor various sensors for DIY tracking + diagnosing.
https://vimeo.com/435967872
There are other monitors available...we just have no experience with them.

Can't provide any insight into keeping the 6.0diesel or buying a 6.8gas, other than to determine how much will it cost to replace the current van to acquire a similar gas van?

We've spent a pretty penny on our 6.0 (quite a bit more than your estimate), but we consider it an investment until electric vehicles catch up.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #19

Garage
Sorry to hear this and wish you the best going forward. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage
I spent about 15K to BP my engine. Prior to rebuilding the engine, I had a few tows from sensor related issues but most of my breakdowns were not failures of internal engine components, they were generally items bolted onto the engine (the transmission in one case). I had told the shop I just wanted to keep from breaking down in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately I think with the 6.0 you have a chance of something shutting the engine down via a sensor no matter it's a new crate engine or a bullet proofed motor. I'm not sure if I threw money away but some of the mods such as tuning and other upgraded components made sense to me. My van runs about 15* cooler using a tune and I hope that alone helps.

Reliability on the trail with my 6.0 has always been something that is a concern every time I go off pavement. A backcountry tow could be very costly. At least with a smaller vehicle, they can be towed out easier. A little insurance by upgrading stock products gives me a bit more hope I'll drive the van out under its own power. Currently am getting a low boost code. Gonna take care of it ASAP but I'm hoping it's another sensor...engine runs great. Oh well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote