Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #1

Ujoint conversion problems and questions

So I bought a UJoint kit a year ago when I found my van. Life threw some curve balls and just got around to installing it. I had some questions and the need to purchase a couple extra parts lately and I am get no response from Chris either by phone or email.

Maybe someone here can help with the question I have?

I'm installing the 4" kit with a 05 Sterling. When I bought the kit I planned on installing an 04 but the tubes were rust through under the spring perches. So when I bought the original kit it didn't come with the E-brake cables since his kit is for 05 axles.

So I'm installing an 05 rear axle this weekend and will need e-brake cables. Does anybody know if the cables he sells are different the stock? I've left multiple messages trying to purchase them from him. I just don't want to purchase OEM if they won't work.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #2

Garage
one of my emails eventually worked for me, but never did get a response from the other, but pm's on expo were the quickest way to get answers. he took his phone number off his website, so that wasnt even an option for me.

however, in for answer as i just did this conversion and ebrake cables are all i have left to complete.

i know the 05 sterling cables will not work, and neither will the stockers from my 03. nor a combination of the 2. one thing that looked like it would work without spending money was moving the bracket on the frame forward about 3". this would be the bracket near the rear of the van on the drivers side where the 2 cables converge together. i ran out of time on the borrowed lift to finish and havent ahd time since to mess with it.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #3

Have you been able to get in contact with Chris?
Old 02-08-2017, 08:52 PM   #4

Garage
i havent tried lately. this was a couple months ago i was reaching out for info. the fastest way i was able to get answers was via pm on expo.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #5

Garage
I used these with my 2007 axle: 6C3Z-2A635-FB & 6C3Z-2A635-B. Those cables were a direct fit to the axle but the attachments to the van body aren't really in the right place so I cut them off. You'll have to come up with a way to attach these to the stock brake cable coming from the pedal as these are a bit longer than stock. I used a few cable clamps.
2006 E350 RB-31 MG Metalworks/UJOR 4x4 swap (on to another)
ranchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #6

I finally got a hold of Chris after probably 5 voicemails. He is shipping me out his cables today. Hopefully they are a direct bolt up
Old 02-10-2017, 12:38 AM   #7

Garage
I just happen to have a extra set that came with my ujoint kit, If you want it. Its for a 05 sterling rear axle.
ebflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:08 AM   #8

Garage
^^^ pmed if hes not interested.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #9

ebflow,

Thank you for the offer, but I just purchased them from Chris finally. Sounds like shenrie could use them.

I am always amazed by the community here!
I still have to post my diy pop top install and 4wd conversion build. Just frustrated that I need to put all the pictures in paint and edit all of the to not flip sideways. But I do owe it to the community.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #10

Fun stuff dealing with Chris. Glad to se you got what you need.

See link, my experience with him starting at post 24.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post179604
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote